• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

    2003 Mercruiser 5.7l 250hp....do they recommend a hydrofoil for use on the outdrive? Right now I have a trolling plate hooked up, but I don't feel like I am getting full power transferred to the water even with a brand new prop.

    Anything like this? http://www.************/StingRay-XPRI...SELL_THUMBNAIL

    - or -

    http://www.************/StingRay-Spee...SELL_THUMBNAIL
    RetUSN
    2003 Trophy 2359 w/Mer 5.7L and Alpha Gen.II


  • #2
    Re: Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

    do they recommend a hydrofoil for use on the outdrive?
    Ayuh,... If they Did, the plate would be stock, OEM...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

      Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
      Ayuh,... If they Did, the plate would be stock, OEM...
      Hydrofoils help some people with underpowered boats, but they also can create handling problems. Waste of time and money in my opinion. Both Mercruiser and Volvo Penta (and OMC when they were in business) make putdrives without them, so that tells me they aren't necessary.

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

        I put the Nautics Smart tabs on my boat. It made a world of difference in handling.

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: Mercruiser Alpha - Recommend me a hydrofoil stabilizer fin

          Originally posted by TilliamWe View Post
          Hydrofoils help some people with underpowered boats, but they also can create handling problems. Waste of time and money in my opinion. Both Mercruiser and Volvo Penta (and OMC when they were in business) make putdrives without them, so that tells me they aren't necessary.
          Never had a handling problem when I installed one on my Johnson 55 on a Bayrunner 16ft. It helped the boat plane-out a lot faster than without it. And that engine was dead-mid-range for that boat, not underpowered.

          Originally posted by firecapt13 View Post
          I put the Nautics Smart tabs on my boat. It made a world of difference in handling.
          I'll look into those. Thanks.
          RetUSN
          2003 Trophy 2359 w/Mer 5.7L and Alpha Gen.II

          Comment

          Working...
          X