Honda Gas Cap

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was given a nice honda 6.5 gal. portable gas tank that is missing the cap/vent.
Called a local honda dealer in my area to buy a replacement cap and was told by the dealer that they(Honda) don't sell the replacement cap and i would have to buy a new tank.
Is this true?? I thought maybe $10-15 for a replacement cap but i did'nt think I would have to buy a brand new tank!!
Has anybody come across this type of situation?
Are all portable tanks caps interchangeable?
They have these cheap replacement caps here on iboats and they say fits Moller tanks would i be able to use it on my Honda tank?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda Gas Cap

As much as I hate to say this, I would go to a local brick and mortar store (or better yet an old fashioned marina) and then you can try the cap on the tank. If it fits, you are set. Personally, I am SHOCKED that honda does not sell replacement caps. Guess I won't be buying a Honda motor. (Not likely to happen anyway.) I would check with a different Honda dealer. You might even try a cap from say, a Honda snowblower or lawnmower. I know that Honda snowblowers are sometimes junked around here.

TerryMSU

NYBo

Admiral

Is the tank metal or plastic?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's Plastic.

I called another dealer in my area and they said to order one it runs about $40. For that kind of money you can get other brand(moller, tempo,quicksilver) complete set-up(tank,hose&primer-ball).

Well no biggie i'll just store it until i come across a cap that will fit for cheap!