Telflex steering cable (rack system) Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the steering cable out of the boat how freely should the cable slide? should you be able to slide the cable by hand?

mthieme

Captain
Re: Telflex steering cable (rack system) Question

Pretty much, yes.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

The cablee should move with slight drag but but should be free and without "stiff" spots. Think of a trombone slide- slight drag but smooth. If the cable is too stiff to move easily with your hand it will result in higher steering effort than normal. If you have the cable off the boat and can remove the cable from the sheath you can clean and lube the cable and reinstall but usually a replacement is in order.

UFM82

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not see any way to remove the cable. I have been trying to shoot liquid wrench and pb blaster in through the rack side. any other suggestions? the tilt side seems very clean...now

southkogs

Staff member

There's no way to remove the cable from the sleeve on a Teleflex Rack. I just put a new one in my boat, and while I could move it by hand off the helm, it wasn't easy. The Rack itself doesn't disassemble so if you can hook that back up to the helm and use the wheel to move the cable that would probably be easiest.

If it won't move at all, I might consider replacing it. Especially if you've already got the cable out of the boat, I'd take the opportunity. Because you can't get in the cable, you can't really be sure what's causing the hangup.

cr2k

Captain

There is no way to remove the cable. ALL boat cables are NOT serviceable period. Don't know where people get that idea. So quit telling people they are. Cables are teflon over the wire and slide inside a teflon sleeve. Any grease, oil etc will create a noticable drag on the cable. When they get stiff or hard to move it means that it is worn out inside and is rubbing metal and just gonna wear faster. Beside Teleflex is cheap enough to replace anyway.

People please quit giving opinions or bad information. If you don't know for sure don't respond.

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks south and CR. I had already removed the pinoin and steering wheel from the helm and was working it off the boat. seemed to help some with freeing it up. Yesterday evening I finally taped all the seams in the rack and poured k-1 in there and worked it a few times K-1 started to splash out a bit and was pure black. After a few turns it loosened up a bit. I poured more in and hung it from tyhe rafter over night. havn't been out to work on it yet but hope it will have freed up. I know that the rack grease was hard as a rock so I figure that if some had gotten in the cable it was probably what was was causing the problem. Like wise the tilt end had what I belive to be normal auto grease at the zerk fitting and took a putty knife and hammer to clean it off the fitting. CR I plan on alot of work on the boat this winter so this is all just a temp fix to get me through the rest of the season. Am planning on replacing it then just in case.

CoastalJim

Recruit

Cr, Hope you can help. I have a 2003 Centurion Avalanche w/ Teleflex SSC13419 steering cable. I've bought the new cable but can't figure out how to remove the old cable. The old shaft has a 1 1/8" nut then the shaft that goes thru what i assume is a stabilizer to another plastic nut. I can't get either nut off the end of this stabilizer because of the location of the stabilizer (stabilizer is attached under the bottom of the motor). Any idea how this is disconnected.

Thanks for any suggestions

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coast, you will probably have better luck if you start a new thread or send Cr a private message

79camaro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am just about to do this. I got the cable out but can't seem to get the rack out. Do I have to remove the steering wheel first?

southkogs

Staff member

Camaro -

On some systems the entire helm has to come off. Start a new thread, tell us what kind of boat and drive you have. Pictures would even be better if you can.

Someone should be able to give you a near step by step walkthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.