Painting an anchor and chain

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, my anchor use to look like the one pictured below but now it?s formed some rust.

Have any of you ever painted your anchor and chain? If so, what did you use?

I know there is a galvanized spay paint that is available, just don?t want to go crazy with the price because the set up is old and it's mostly for aesthetic reasons that I'm painting.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 0
Re: Painting an anchor and chain

Free,

Wire brush the rusty spots and recoat it with the cold gavinizing spray. They sell it at HD and Lowes and the stuff is cheap.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Anchors take some abuse. Use several coats of the galvanizing paint, and let it bake in the sun.....

robert graham

Admiral

My 20lb. mushroom river anchor rusted, so I wire brushed it, cleaned most rust, dirt, oil off with carb cleaner, put several coats of some light blue GM engine block enamel I had in my shop, anchor still looks like new. Just depends on how much trouble/time/expense you want to put in it. Good Luck!

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

All good replies so far...Robert I'm visualizing it with the enamel finish I bet your anchor looks sweet.

I almost didn't want to post the question because, hell your only going to throw the thing in the water and force it into the mud but it spends so much gosh darn time sitting up on the deck in the holder I might as well make it look nice.

Sort of like a hood emblem for my Larson:p

Philster

Captain

Anchors don't have rust. We call that a patina. :)