Need a spotlight. Help!!!

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anybody know a company that sells a good handheld spot light that attaches with alligator clips? Preferably a million candle power or more? All I can find is the ones with the utility jack hook up or the crappy rechargable ones which crap out on you after a year or two or heavy use. I fish jug and limb lines at night and am tired of wasting money on lights that are only a temporary fix. Very frustrating. Back in 80's and early 90's they were all over, now good luck. Just tried to hard wire my rechargable to a fixed battery and blew the bulb. This bulb is not replaceable, its solderd in. Thats cr*p. What ever happened to durrable gear. Someone out there has to know.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Searching for a spotlight?

utility jack?

You mean like a cig lighter? why not just cut the end off, and crimp/solder on your own clips?

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I've thought of that but just to buy the ones with that cig lighter jack you pay so much more. So why pay more to cut it off and buy more when I could just buy it with it in the first place.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OR... Just buy search light with the plug for the cig lighter and purchase the alligator clip / cig lighter socket adapter at Radio Shack. Best of both worlds.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a spotlight. Help!!!

There is a little orange plastic Black & Decker LED spotlight that you can get at WallyWorld for under $20 that is just as bright or brighter than many of the big, heavy Q-beam cig-lighter handhelds. It runs on 4 C batteries (something like 20 hours on high, 70-some hours on low) - that would be my choice on a boat or in a vehicle. It is light enough that you can hang it from your belt. You'll have to spend a lot more money to get something as bright and convenient in incandescent, or go to HID if you need more light.

Brewman61

Ensign

Costwise, I doubt it's going to be very significant. Alligator clips aren't terribly expensive.
Neither is the socket/clips adapter mentioned above.