Anchor line Storage

pheasanthunter

Seaman Apprentice
We bought our first boat and are loving every minute of it. Many thanks to all that help us newbies.
My boat has an anchor storage compartment in the deck on the bow. Lift the lid and the anchor hangs from two small recesses with little latches to hold it upside down on the inside v of the bow. I bought a Danik hook from Overton's to attach the line to the bow hook instead of tying a knot every time.
My question is this how do people store the line (100') without it becoming a tangle. I am going to tie a loop at the end and put a large washer and nut on the backside of the extra bow hook threads on the inside of the hull to secure the end. Just curious how other people store all the line.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anchor line Storage

just feed it randomly into the rope locker as you pull it in it will play out just as smoothly.... never coil it.... If you don't have a rope locker feed it into a bag, bucket, milk crate, etc and stow it in that container.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

btw, in case you didn't know, if you plan to anchor in any kind of current or wind etc, 100' of rope is only good for about 20' of water. 250' is good for 50' of water... some chain between the rope and anchor is a BIG help to the holding power of the anchor

Triton II

Commander

SOTW is right, rule of thumb for chain length is at least the length of your boat. This part is know in nautical terms as the "rode" and basically lays the anchor flat on the seabed to allow the flukes to grip properly. It also helps with dislodging the anchor after use, as when you pull the anchor up it keeps the flukes dug in horizontally until the chain starts to pull up vertically and easily breaks the flukes out of the seabed.

TII

JoLin

Vice Admiral

SOTW is right, rule of thumb for chain length is at least the length of your boat. This part is know in nautical terms as the "rode" TII

Actually, that part is known as the chain. The anchor 'rode' consists of the full length of rope and chain, or rope only, or chain only, used to secure the anchor to the boat. If you have 100' of rope and 20' of chain, your anchor rode is 120' long.

As for that rule of thumb, it really depends on where you boat, bottom composition, strength of wind and current. It's a good baseline, but a significant length of chain is heavy and can be difficult to raise by hand. My boats have typically had about half their length in chain with no issues. Additional chain can help when you're limited in the scope you can use due to the length of your rode, or in tight quarters. The OP might want to see what others in his boating area are using.

Lastly, I'd suggest the OP pull all the rode out of the locker, disconnect the anchor, stretch it out and straighten any coils or kinks that are in it. There ought to be a tie-down already mounted inside the locker that he can use. Replacing the normal anchor shackle with a swivel shackle can help keep the rode from developing coils or kinks, too.

My .02

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same kind of anchor storage in the bow of my boat with two little black pastic pieces that look like I can hang an anchor to. The problem is I have no idea what kind of anchor is supposed to fit in this location, or if I am missing some parts. What kind of anchor are you using?

I have a 2000 Four Winns 200 Horizon with the anchor hatch in the bow.

Thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I have the same kind of anchor storage in the bow of my boat with two little black pastic pieces that look like I can hang an anchor to. The problem is I have no idea what kind of anchor is supposed to fit in this location, or if I am missing some parts. What kind of anchor are you using?

I have a 2000 Four Winns 200 Horizon with the anchor hatch in the bow.

Thanks.

Anchor type depends on bottom composition. You need to use whatever type folks in your area use. One thing they'll all have (well, mostly all) is a 'stock' that fits into those clips. You need to measure it. Look here for the parts of an anchor. In this case, the illustration is for a Danforth type. Those are typically used in sandy or muddy bottom conditions.

http://www.sailingissues.com/yachting-guide/anchors.html

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

first, as to the anchor locker: I have the same kind. on some boats, they are made too short to hold the correct size anchor, so you have to cut the "shaft" of the anchor and redrill the hole. You also have to leave room for the shaft; if the rope is piled up on the bottom, it won't fit, so keep a hole open. I think I might try a short piece of 4" PVC to drop the anchor in.

second, as to the chain=boat length rule: depends on the boat and purpose. 20' of chain on a 20' boat is generally excessive; 10' is plenty. and all chain is not created equal. so heavier chain can be shorter.

third, anchoring "rules" depend on circumstances; the typical chart as to length, anchor size, chain length, etc. is for anchoring overnight in adverse conditions, way more than you need for a "picnic hook" or a lake with no current and little wind. I am assuming yours is a 17-22 foot boat? let us know. There are no "rules" for boating that fit all boats and situations except one.

fourth, I wouldn't hook to the bow eye; instead use the cleat at the top of the bow. Easier to get to, which is important when you have to untie quickly (see below). Also, for typical boating, you seldom if ever put out all the line, so you will be cleating anyway. And someday, when you are leaning over the bow to hook or unhook, you will drop your clip and lose the whole rig. Oh yes you will..

fifth, reconsider tying the bitter (end of the line) to the inside. I did that with mine mainly as a back-up against someone throwing the anchor and line out, unattached, or it coming untied. But I realized there are time you may need to throw out the whole rig. If you are anchored in current, and a non-swimmer falls overboard and is taken away by current, you don't have time to pull up the anchor to get them (around here, we anchor under bridges at night in the current in the winter. A man overboard, even a swimmer in a PFD, has to be retrieved within seconds or they are dead in the dark). Also when you hook a fish you may not have time to pull up. So I tie a float to the end, so if I throw the whole rig out, intentionally or not, I can go back and get it.

finally, as was said, drop the line loosely in the locker; don't coil it.

Let me caution, however, that by suggesting some downsizing, I do not suggest compromising safety. In places with current, especially tidal current near large bodies of water, the anchor is THE most important safety device, above even PFD's and radios. If you have a problem, your first priority is to stay where you are, and the ability to stay put rather than drift out to sea, to dangerous waters, to shipping lanes, out of sight or into the night can be a life/death factor. Where I boat on remote seaside barrier islands, my anchor rig is oversized.

ETA it occurred to me that your line hook operates mid-line, since you talk about hooking and tying off the end. Please adjust the above, if so.

pheasanthunter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I live in Colorado. There are almost no lakes here, as most are reservoirs and you all would call them puddles. Probably won't worry about drifting out to sea but valuable info to file away just in case I'm ever in that situation. Mostly use my spot lock on my Terrova trolling motor if it's in the boat, but when playing I leave it at home, so use the anchor when floating or having lunch.
To answer 2000fourwinns question I bought a danforth style anchor from Overtons online and just cut off an inch or two off each end so it hangs in the anchor storage. The bottom of my storage area is open through to the rest of the innerhull and ski locker so I will probably try to fashion some sort of bottom in it to keep the rope from entering the ski locker. I do have about 10' of chain on it. My only problem was having it tangle from coiling it up when I pull it in.. i'm learnin'
I've been around boats alot just never owned my own and most the guys i've boated with I actually already knowmore about boating than they do because of all the ionfo on this forum. And the fact that when I get into something I try to learn everything about it.