Float Switch Won't Work Automatially- HELP.

mrjustdis

Recruit
I recently replaced all my baitwell and bilge pumps on a 2007 Ranger Ghost. The bilge pump comes with a separate Rule mechanical float switch. I removed the old one and replace the new switch making sure the wiring was exactly the same. I tested the pump and everything worked fine for a month or so. Then suddenly, I saw a blinking red light on instrumentation panel for the bilge. According to Ranger, that indicates there's something wrong with the pump. The pump works fine but it will not automatically kick on when water floats the switch.
Is there a normally a fuse (in line or breaker) associated with the float switch? Does the Rule bilge pump have a separate fuse or breaker? Any sugestions on how to fix this absent of having to take it to a Ranger dealer or repair facility?

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Float Switch Won't Work Automatially- HELP.

Problem must be in the float switch circuit or the float switch itself. Get your multimeter out and check for pwr coming to and going through the float switch when it is in the on position and then to the pump itself. May be a faulty switch.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Float Switch Won't Work Automatially- HELP.

This is a really simple problem, especially if you can reach the float switch easily.

1st some background:

Did you check the operation of the float switch after making the repair? When you made the exchange did you insert a fuse? (They do not generally have one in the kit.) Did you use heat shrink, watertight connectors? Did you make sure that the splices in your wiring were above water level?

Generally there should be no water in your bilge unless you put it there or there is a problem. So you must determine why the float switch is not working, what caused it to quit working and why there was water in the bilge which caused the switch to send a failure message to your indicator light. This sounds more complicated that it is, and you should have no problem figuring it out once you stop and think about it in a logical manner.

I see you live in Lithia, I am in Lakeland and if you would like to call me, send me a PM for my phone # and I will try to talk you thru the process of looking.