Baystar steering & Honda 150

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Our boat is so hard to steer at any speed above 15mph in either direction. Took it to the dealer and they said that's the way Baystar systems are on 150 hp motors and also no air was in the system. I'm the 3rd person to complain to the dealer about our Silverwave pontoons and the Baystar systems being so hard to steer. I takes 2 hands and a tight grip to steer the boat over 15mph.

Those of you with 150hp motor and Baystar steering is your boat that hard to steer over 15mph ?

Thanks

mayatan

Cadet
Re: Baystar steering & Honda 150

I have heard from a few marine mechanics Baystar is only recommended for up to 150 hp. Still should not be hard to steer though . Is it new?.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I put a Baystar system on my ProLine 2 years ago to replace a stiff cable system. I have to say that I was disappointed as well. Effort was better but it sure ain't fingertip AT ALL. I was tired of having to use both hands to pull tubes and hoped the hydraulic system would be the ticket. NOT. And I run a Merc 150 on my boat so your complaint really rang my bell. I bought the system for two resons. The first reason being I couldn't handle a grand for a Seastar system and believed that would be overkill for my little 19 footer. The second reason is that I was told BY THEM that it was rated up to and including a 150 hp. engine and was a great fit for my boat.

I had the boat out today for the first time this year as a matter of fact and I was P.O.'d to find that I have to continually turn the wheel to the left to keep the boat going straight. Not quickly but a slow, gradual counteclockwise rotation to keep the boat straight. So not only has it not been the fix I was hoping for, it now seems that after only 2 years (September of '09) the helm needs a seal kit. Wonderful. I'll not be recommending this system to anyon else.

UFM82

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ufm82,

I also read several post from people saying their seals went in 2 years or less in the Baystar systems.

I'm hoping the dealer can get the factory to do something about it. I mean, 3 new owners all complaining about the same problem at the same time. I'm hoping they will just let me pay the difference and get the Seastar system. That would make me happy.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You guys might want to contact my good friend at Teleflex, Marc Adams. madams@teleflex.bc.ca

He knows everything about Baystar and Seastar systems...

I've installed and ran hundreds of Baystar systems on mono-hulls, never had a problem, most of them 150s. Email hm Monday morn, tell him I sent you...

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the contact seabob. Hopefully he'll be able to coordinate a fix for me.

UFM82

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks seabob4

I just fired an email off to your friend at Teleflex. Sure hope he can get this system fixed or replaced.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out Uflex........a bunch of old or disgruntled Teleflex employees desinging and selling same quality or better for much less. You may consider a setup that is rated for 200+ hp.