Mounting Bimini Top

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When screwing down the mounting hardware for a bimini top, do you drill a pilot hole or just screw into the fiberglass ?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Mounting Bimini Top

Drill a pilot hole. Champher the top of the hole so when the screw starts, it won't chip the gel coat. Squeeze in a dab of 3M 5200 sealant and then run your screw in.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you don't predrill the holes you will crack the the fiberglass.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If at all possible, through bolt the base hardware instead of just using screws. A gust of wind and that bimini can put on some stress.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

A lil trick I've learned is your philips screw bit works great as a countersink. As has been said if you don't chamfer the hole sure as heck you'll pop a lil thumbnail out of the gel coat. You'd think people would've figured it out by now but I see this all the time even on brand new boats?

Yes thru-bolting is preferable but not always feasible. When using screws something I might add is drill a big enough pilot hole. Too small and you'll break that dang screw. 'Specially if you have one of the beefier hulls. Stainless fasteners are not what they used to be. And to compound the problem 99.9% of the time they'll break off right flush with the surface so you have no hope of getting ahold of em with vise grips.

Carry on.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

^^100%...they hardly ever break off where you can get a hold of them.... pre-start the screw by hand... if it gets to tight, back it out and use the next larger drill bit.
I would take the advice from ajgraz... thru-bolting makes a stronger mount, even better with an aluminum backing plate.