Chris Craft Pennies

My title says I have a 16 foot 1970 Chris Craft Runabout. I can't find a pic of another anywhere. I crawled under the dash and embedded in the glass was two pennies from 1969. Does anybody know of the builders putting pennies for year identification on these boats? Also was Hildula Enterprises the original owners of Chris Craft?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Chris Craft Pennies

Never heard of coins being used as year ID, but it's a thought...

Personally, I think someone just wanted to put their two cents in!!!:D:D

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Christopher Columbus Smith started Chris Craft in 1922.
tc6.jpg

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd like to see a pic of those pennies. That's cool.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Chris Craft is probably the oldest boat brand in the US. The original owner/builder was Christopher Columbus Smith, who built everything from rowboats to sailboats to steam launches until gasoline engines became available. The name 'Chris' Craft arose in the 1920's. The brand has been through numerous owners over the years (my 1999 was built when OMC owned the brand), and there are books dedicated to its hitory if you want to find the ownership details. Some background here:

http://www.chriscraft.com/index.php?category=Video&ref=VideoHistory&src=gendocs&submenu=VideoHistory

I suspect the pennies were some factory tradition, maybe the equivalent of the workers 'putting their 2 cents in'. That's pure guesswork on my part but I like it. :)

Woodland-20110602-00097.jpgWoodland-20110602-00092.jpg

Great information everyone. Thanks for the insight. I wanted to post the penny pic yesterday but was too busy.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Shipbuilders have been imbedding coins in the hulls of vessels since the Roman times. Im not familiar with the origin of the tradition or its exact reason. I do know that the ritual is more predominant in wooden boats than other forms of assembly and the coins were historicly placed in the keel beam. An archaeological crew found a coin imbedded in the hull of an ancient ship found during the excavation of ground zero. See heading "Save our Ship" http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39500174/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Willyclay

Captain

A note in the USCG's Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) database under Chris Craft indicates that records of CC boats built prior to the OMC bankruptcy in 2001 were transferred to the Mariners Museum at (800)565-6846. Maybe they can help. Good luck!

GaryAK

Seaman

That's just cooler than otter pops! I think I'll research "good luck charms" and install something in my project for the next owner. I got myself well crippled up 2 weeks after I bought my boat in '08...may get it done this summer, but I won't be able to use it for long. Pretty nifty to find something like that!!:)