Can a tube (sport towable) be patched?

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
So i went to the basement to get out the tube for tomorrow. figured it would be fun for those who cant ski...

yup, there is a small rip/tear in it. the rip is clean, and is a three legged star. can this be patched like an innertube or am i just wasting my time? would hate to replace the whole tube just for this but dont want to waste time and money if i can not fix it...

your thoughts?

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can a tube (sport towable) be patched?

Seems like I have seen patch kits on various websites but have never tried patching one.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are kits that work. Get one for vinyl and make sure you clean the surfaces very well and put glue over a bigger area than you need.

204 Escape

Ensign

Our tube came with a patch kit. BUT it wasn't a very big patch, about 2" square.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

In my experience You can have pretty good results patching tubes depending on where the rip or tear is, if its near a seem your pretty hosed, I even tried to repair a seem from both sides and it wouldn't seal, it made me so mad I cut the tube into shreds I worked so hard at it! If your rip is not near a seam you should be ok!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I had the mice get to our tube a couple years ago after a winter in the garage. It was some work to patch and it lasted about two seasons before letting go again. Because it was the type of tube that went into an outer nylon cover I think that helped the patch survive longer as it wasn't actually dragging on the water directly.