• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the problem with Bayliner?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the problem with Bayliner?

I am a sales counselor for wellcraft,fishmaster,trophy,and bayliner,50% of my customers wont even look at the bayliner because they say that it is a bad boat,when i ask them what is so bad about it all anyone can say is (i just heard bad things about them)know one can say what exactly is so wrong with the brand.the other 50% dont have an opinion on the brand and when they look at the boat they tend to realy like the boat. all i can say is we have more repeat costomers with bayliner than with any other brand we cary.im not trying to give a sales pitch i just want to better understand the other 50% problem with this line.

Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

Makofanatic- Maybe you can shed some light on the subject for us. One thing I heard around the marinas, was that there "have been problems" at the seams beneath the rub rails of: coming apart, cracking, and just a poor construction in that area and the boat cannot take much pounding. (I have not seen the problem 1st hand)5 slips from me is an older Bayliner 30'. He keeps it looking good, one of his problems galley windows rattle & leak, and the entire bridge area seems flimsey. Just some hearsay, and observations.

Comment

I am not out to trash anyone's product. I've shopped Bayliner. Almost bought a new 26' Trophy out of desparation. The thing that bugs me is, Bayliner seems to try to be everybodies boat. They have all the features, more than most. Trouble is you can't use any of them. I was tring to replace a 1960 23' chris cavalier. The head in the Chris was useable. bayliners was under the bed. Ice box in the chris would hold ice and food for a week. bayliner just a six pac no ice. They just seem so Fordlike to me.I like my Fords to drive but I want more in a boat.

Comment

I have a Mako and a Thunderbird so I'm a little biased, but, my son-in-law bought a 2000 25ft Bayliner Trophy Walkaround with twin 150 Mercs. Paid in the neighborhood of 55 thousand cash. This past summer he was on the Potomac River and got caught in some bad weather and had to run upriver in about 3 ft waves. He may have been running a little too fast for the water but both stringers cracked and Bayliner told him it will cost around 20 thousand to repair and his boat will be down until May. I have run my 23 ft Mako WalkAround in a lot worse water and never got a squeak out of her. Bayliners are fairly good boats for the money but they just aren't built as good as some. My son-in-law is getting rid of his Bayliner and either getting a 26 ft Mako or Whaler.Keep the bait in the Slick......

Comment

Makofanatic, when I ride down the local "on the water" marina saltwater creeks in DE, I see about as many Bayliners as I see Makos, Grady Whites, Boston Whalers, etc. These are all older boats mostly, and they are all still floating at the end of the summer there too.If you want a "war story" from my crazy days, here goes. You will see that I must have had a death wish once you read this, I've since matured considerably.I owned a 1987 Bayliner Trophy CC, with the Force 125 on it, and I used it 5 and 6 days a week for close to two years commercial hook and line fishing. I typically used 25 to 35 gallons of fuel a night, I did not have an odometer on my depthfinder at the time. I also used one quart bottle of oil to 10 gallons of gas, and never fouled a plug.I got caught out in over a dozen 70 mph+/- high wind thunderstorms in it (DE Bay and coastal ocean), with 6 to 12 ft. seas at times, had the tackle boxes floating, but she would bob right back up and keep plowing.My Grady/Boston Whaler/Mako/etc. buddies would brag on it when we all made it in OK. But they still made fun of the "cheap boat". I punished it by driving 30 to 35 mph in 2 - 4 ft. chops, for 10 to 20 miles at a time. I had to replace the rivets that connected the outer and inner hulls together with screws, and also replace the rivets with screws that connected the CC to the deck. And, I had to repair the floor gelcoat in the two inner corners near the center console twice, because I did not like the gelcoat stars that developed there.I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE, AND ONLY MENTION IT TO SHOW THE COMPARISON.2 more cents worth...............

Comment

Makofanatc, do a search here for "Bayliner" and grab a cup of jo, relax and get an eyefull.I own a 89Bliner 1650, and use it 2weeksends a month on average. I still get compliments at the ramp over it's lines. It is a very pretty boat..Now the Drawbacks are the fiberglass layup. There are areas of the hull that have bubbles in the laminate,because they didn't bother to roll it in.Absolutely horible work!I had to redeck her last year. The decking was not laminated,nor was the top half of the stringers. I'm sure the new ones use less wood, But unless they got off the wallet in the glass work, they are waisting thier time.A "no wood" Bayliner would go far in restoring customer faith. A picture says a thousand words, so I'll post some pics of my Bro inlaw's 89 Bayliner Cobra bas rig. First will be some of the older pics before we started to realy dig-in.
            "Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all
            right now."

Comment

Makofanatic- my first suggestion would be to go crawl around a Grady or any of the other high end boats just see what kind of hardware and finish they use. I think you'll answer your own question. My best friend was in the market for a new boat 2 years ago. I kept pushing him toward purchasing a Grady like mine but he ended up buying a 21'Trophy. He said that the Trophy was the "everything" boat and at a price he liked. I ragged on him awhile about getting a "cheap" boat and even pointed out things like using plastic thru hulls instead of the bronze and a few other items which I don't care for. Now that he has had the boat for 2 summers, he is finally admitting that maybe there is a difference in brands. Bayliners are good first time boats for weekend warriors, but they skimp on too many things to make me a beleiver.
              Grady White 226
              200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
              Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
              Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
              ICOM M504A VHF
              Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

all of you are talking about old bayliners and you cant compare a grady to a bayliner the grady will cost you more than twice as much. i want to know what the problem is with the 2001, and 2002 bayliners, did you guys know that they now come with a life time warranty? does anyone also know that the old president of searay is know in charge of the bayliner manufacturing prosses?and do any of you also know that brunswick uses all the same materials for all there lines,such as Boston whaler,searay,maxum,baja,hatteras,and bayliner?you are all going back to the 80's this is the year 2002 bayliner deserves to be realvaluated. thanks

Comment

I forgot one more tibit of info,this year trophy separated itself from bayliner they are now there own entity.check them out they are all composite this year and they are filled with foam

Comment

Hey Makofanatic, I purchased a 1977 27' Bayliner last spring. She sat for about 8 years in a yard with the elements exposed to her cabin. She was a mess. With hard work and alot of know how, she is back in the water. My only problem with her now is,,,,,I THINK SHE IS BIGGER THAN I NEEDED! While loading her on the trailer once, I pushed trailer and my E250 Van up the ramp about 2'! No damage, and seems pretty tough. I wouldn't use her to baja with. Its like anything, you don't use a Limo to go mud running, and you don't use a street bike to motocross with. Nothing lasts forever unless you pay out the ying yang for it. Boats is a good example. Bayliner would say equal Ford/Chevy, Grady Whites/Boston Whalers would equal Mercedes or the higher priced cars, So basically we need to have different brands with price lines to match the wallets of the consumers. In my opinion, Every Brand Has its Problems!
                    BEER........Helping ugly people find true Love since 1862

Comment

Well, i've owned new and old. My 86 Capri was poorly biult, no doubt. I still loved it, but it was a crank em out as fast as you can biult boat! I now own a 94, which is the newer style, biult after the problems they had. I really just couldn't find another boat with all the features i wanted. The newer Bayliners are much better. They may not be as good as some of the other boats mentioned, but much much better than the old ones. Now i'm talking the Cierra's not the fishing boats. No visible wood, unlike the old ones. Completely self bailing, The boat really is solid. Bayliner had a whole lot of problems back in the day, but are turning into a better boat. They still have a ways to go, but right now you can't beat the boat for the money. Believe me, i looked at a lot of boats in my used price range, but none had what i wanted. Now the Trophy's may be different, i dunno.

Comment

Makofanatic, that is good to hear (about Bliner getting-over some of it's quality hurdles). There a gajillion Bliners out there, and many stll get a lot of use.A bit of deck rot is not uncommon in a 12 year old hul. What is, is the chopper gun,no-roll layup in these 12year old hulls.Foam can be a plus,or a minus. If the glass does not completely encapsule it, and encapsule it enough to withstand the threats of crackng the shell, foam is a big mistake.It's worse than wood in such cases.But I am still proud of the old Capri I own. I will probably keep it for a few more years, and buy a new boat.But I can assure you,it will not be a bayliner,unless Brunswick buys out Starboard, and starts using it to frame-out and deck thier hulls. BTW, more pics comming of the Cobra, but need to take the and U/L them to my pic host.In the meantime, check out my '89 Bliner Capri.. http://members.fishingworks.com/12Footer/
                        "Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all
                        right now."

Comment

Hey 12footer who's the old guy behind you?

Comment

12footer:It does my heart good to see a grandfather enjoy his grandson. Teach him well.sandman

Comment

I bought a 2001 Bayliner 1952, which is their economy cuddy cabin model.No problems - boat was a fantastic value - very good performer, handles waves, and great economy.Read hundreds of postings about Bayliner before I bought. Many horror stories. All involved boats built before about 1993. The late '80's were the worst. Fiberglass problems and wood stringer rot. My boat has no wood stringers.So, I think you only need to be concerned if your buying a Bayliner from that time period.

Comment

Working...
                              X