Durabak or overtons non skid

Calebbrown77

Seaman
Was wondering if this stuff is completely waterproof an also was wondering if I was gonna use this an painted it over all parts of the woo if it wouldn't rot or do I need to fiberglass under it? An is it nessecary to use mat an cloth? I'm new to fiberglassing an boats so just a thought or was wonderig if there is any other type of sealant to waterproof wood

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Durabak or overtons non skid

I'm sure the experts will be able to explain it to you better than I can but the fiberglass provides stregth and helps holds everything together along with resin. The resin will provide waterproofing.

Here is what I did on my boat with Durabak (I also helped a buddy do the same to his boat with Overtons). First I replaced the deck with marine ply and prep the deck, then put a coat of resin, then a layer of mat, then a layer of resin, let dry, sand smooth and repeat in the opposite direction resin, mat, resin. Then I sanded again to prep for coating with Durabak. As far as the motor cover, back seats, and all the trim wood, I use marine ply and coated with resin (2 coats) before painting and covering with carpet or vinyl. Hope this helps you.