bass tracker jet boat, mercury 175 any good?

scottconsoli

Cadet
does anybody know anything about these boats? Are they reliable, is this a good price or deal or not? What kind of questions should I ask? Any info would be great, I just sold my bass tracker pro 175 with a 40 jet mercury outboard on it because it was a little underpowered, obviously this is a different animal. any advice?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/2391069576.html

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: bass tracker jet boat, mercury 175 any good?

great engine, arguably one of the best mercury built... It is based on the 2.5liter block, and 175hp is the lowest it was ever rated at. (meaning the block is very overbuilt for 175) Earlier years (pre 98 or so) did have issues with the oil injection pump, it was generally fairly reliable after that, and if you are worried you can always just convert it over to premix.

Things to watch out for... Ask them if they have changed the stator and lower unit oil. Both should be changed yearly, and people sometimes forget about it, especially the stator. When you look at it, take a flashlight and crawl under it, look up the intake and see if it is beat up. The impeller is a cheap fix, but the wear ring can be a little expensive. A quick fix that I've done on all my jet boats is to build up the wear ring with jbweld. Surprisingly it lasts very well, a couple of seasons at least.

Finally, those merc 175 jets can be a bear to start cold, so don't take that as a negative sign when you look at it. They have no anti-drainback valve and no hand primer bulb you can pump. Merc put a bandaid on, in the form of a primer pump that runs when the starter is running. Only problem is that you have to grind the starter away while the pump is sucking up fuel, and that is even if the pump is running, since the starter is dropping the voltage. I've got a quick fix posted on a different site that allows you to run the primer pump manually with a key-switch, it makes a HUGE difference.

http://jetboating.net/jetboating/common/articles/display.aspx?id=96

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

That is a very nice boat,I want one just like it!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sweet ride for the rivers in the Harrisburg area.

scottconsoli

Cadet

wow, great advice, i pick the boat up this week, why cant you just install a ball pump in the fuel line? any other advice, I have heard great things about these motors. looking forward to it, I may contact you when it gets here.

scottconsoli

Cadet

what is one of these boats worth, bass tracker pro 185 2004, in good shape? 9200 a good price? he did put boysen reeds in it and a few other things as well,

great engine, arguably one of the best mercury built... It is based on the 2.5liter block, and 175hp is the lowest it was ever rated at. (meaning the block is very overbuilt for 175) Earlier years (pre 98 or so) did have issues with the oil injection pump, it was generally fairly reliable after that, and if you are worried you can always just convert it over to premix.

Things to watch out for... Ask them if they have changed the stator and lower unit oil. Both should be changed yearly, and people sometimes forget about it, especially the stator. When you look at it, take a flashlight and crawl under it, look up the intake and see if it is beat up. The impeller is a cheap fix, but the wear ring can be a little expensive. A quick fix that I've done on all my jet boats is to build up the wear ring with jbweld. Surprisingly it lasts very well, a couple of seasons at least.

Finally, those merc 175 jets can be a bear to start cold, so don't take that as a negative sign when you look at it. They have no anti-drainback valve and no hand primer bulb you can pump. Merc put a bandaid on, in the form of a primer pump that runs when the starter is running. Only problem is that you have to grind the starter away while the pump is sucking up fuel, and that is even if the pump is running, since the starter is dropping the voltage. I've got a quick fix posted on a different site that allows you to run the primer pump manually with a key-switch, it makes a HUGE difference.

http://jetboating.net/jetboating/common/articles/display.aspx?id=96

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

wow, great advice, i pick the boat up this week, why cant you just install a ball pump in the fuel line? any other advice, I have heard great things about these motors. looking forward to it, I may contact you when it gets here.

they are considered inboards, and hand primer bulbs don't meet uscg requirements for fuel systems. Even if they did, i've seen far too many hand primer bulbs that developed pinhole leaks.

Although I haven't personally tried it, i've heard some bad things about anti-drainback valves also. They will reduce the flow, and possibly starve the engine at full throttle. (not good!)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

what is one of these boats worth, bass tracker pro 185 2004, in good shape? 9200 a good price? he did put boysen reeds in it and a few other things as well,

That seems a little high, but I'm used to the sport boats with those sj engines, not the fishing boats. It is going to be heavily market dependent. If you have water an outboard can't go in, those boats are going to be worth substantially more. Figure the price of a similar outboard plus maybe 20% or so.