• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

vintage boat light question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage boat light question

I have a 1968 Slickcraft SS195, that I have just started to restore. Somewhere in my research on boats I found that the stern light needs to be 1 meter above the highest point. My Slickcraft stern light is on the rear of the transom and not visible, from anywhere other than the rear of the boat. Is this legal now? Do I need to update my lights? I hope to use this boat on Lake Michigan, and thus will come under Coast Guard scrunity. Just trying to do the right thing first. ThanksBill

Re: vintage boat light question

backyardbillI think I would check with the local authority (coast gaurd etc)Richard

Comment

I have a 1958 aluminum runabout which I restored and then talked with the local GC inspectors about what was required to satisfy their checklists.While the boat was exempt from from some rules imposed years later, that did not apply to the lighting. I think that means that you would need to modify your lights to meet current requirements.

Comment

From the other side of the Lake, here is what I had to do. The rules say the light must be visibile one nautical mile. There are some nice kits to mount a 30" removable light. Mine is down during the day, close to dusk just stick it. I think I spent a whole $25 on the rig.

Comment

Working...
        X