vintage boat light question

backyardbill

Recruit
I have a 1968 Slickcraft SS195, that I have just started to restore. Somewhere in my research on boats I found that the stern light needs to be 1 meter above the highest point. My Slickcraft stern light is on the rear of the transom and not visible, from anywhere other than the rear of the boat. Is this legal now? Do I need to update my lights? I hope to use this boat on Lake Michigan, and thus will come under Coast Guard scrunity. Just trying to do the right thing first. Thanks<br />Bill

rwise

Captain
Re: vintage boat light question

backyardbill<br />I think I would check with the local authority (coast gaurd etc)<br />Richard

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1958 aluminum runabout which I restored and then talked with the local GC inspectors about what was required to satisfy their checklists.<br /><br />While the boat was exempt from from some rules imposed years later, that did not apply to the lighting. I think that means that you would need to modify your lights to meet current requirements.

scottvs

Cadet

From the other side of the Lake, here is what I had to do. The rules say the light must be visibile one nautical mile. There are some nice kits to mount a 30" removable light. Mine is down during the day, close to dusk just stick it. I think I spent a whole $25 on the rig.