compass spinning????

BOATINGmatt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just put my boat in the water ( first time with the new 1985 maqko 228 ) and the compass at the helm is spinning in circles while under way...the compass does have a light witch is powered by a toggle switch...any thoughts on why this is happening....time for a new compass??? or can i fix
Thanks

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: compass spinning????

It looks like an electromagnetic issues. Some pilots use have had issues when their compass spinning, while near/in a thunder storm. Your compass is now an electric motor :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Thought the spinning compass meant either bermuda triangle or impending alien abduction... ;)

Art Bernard

Banned

Yeah man, watch out, the aliens are closing in on you.

Art

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Anyone ever listen to Bob and Tom.......Mr Obvious?

"Caller, Are you driving the boat in circles?"

LOL

Ned L

Commander

Is it full of fluid like it is supposed to be? If it has leaked and drained empty the engine vibration could be causing to to spin.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Compasses are magnetic. Electricity passing thru wires is magnetic. Steel attracts magnets.

On my speedboat, the compass always pointed directly to the steel fuel tank in the bow. My course was always due north.

Sounds like you have some live wires or some steel or both, too close to the compass. A new compass probably won't help. Sometimes if you vertically raise or lower the wires or steel, the compass will work better. It seems the magnets occupy a horizontal plane, to some extent.

BTW - My GPS has a spec for how far away the compass should be mounted. It is like 32", which is like putting the compass in the mid section of the boat. Impractical.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree that it's gotta be electrical interference. We had a marine band radio mounted to close to the compass on my dad's old Sea Nymph and it ended up being useless when we managed to get stuck on Lake Huron in some fog.

Get a portable one so you can move away from the source of interference.:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Brand new boater, new boat- maybe nothing is wrong? In my neck of the woods it's common for the compass rose to swing back and forth through as much as 30 deg. depending on how much I'm being tossed around. The compass is designed to move (quickly, too) as the boat's heading changes- if the boat is skipping or crawling or pounding through waves, its heading changes constantly.

Is it really spiniing in 360 deg circles, or is it moving around a lot more than you expected?

BOATINGmatt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for your responses...the compass is spinning like the head in the exorcist...round and round 360 degrees...the compass is like 6 inches from the gps/fishfinder...i think that may be the cause...i didnt think to turn off the gps and see if it still spins..i will check it out
thanks again

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine did that one time - I had a bad rectifier on the outboard. Replaced the rectifier and problem solved.