Key broke off!

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
photo.jpgOkay so the other day I took my little flats boat out with my 1978 85hp evinrude and everything was going great until I accidently hit bottom and the motor stalled. I went to start it back up again and when I turned the key the whole metal key twisted and split halfway down. Scared to try again and break the key off in the ignition I was stranded for about 20 minutes not being able to start my engine again until I miracously found a screw driver pushed it in the ignition and twisted and with luck the engine started again. So my question is where can I buy this key and ignition part of the control box? Because im pretty sure I screwed it up with the screw driver.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Key broke off!

You can buy them here on Iboats if I remember correctly, or just about any other place that sells Jonson/Evinrude parts, they are a pretty common part.

Sixmark

If it's a 78 then the ignition switch and key set is OEM part #0388173 it has been superceeded by part # 0508180, they are available on ebay, and at Evinrude Johnson dealers as well as just about anyone that sells sierra marine products as well, Sierra part #MP39760

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

HIt up a dealer and they will have replacement keys and hopefully in stock. Under the plastic cover there will be a key number on the key to help you match it.

Sixmark

If you have a Napa nearby you can get it there

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks sixmark for that part number that helped me out alot! So I guess the next question to tackle is how do I take out the whole ignition module from the control box? Do I just unscrew the little circle nut and pull it out? Or is it way harder then that?
Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is not as simple as that. Think about it. The nut is on the OUTSIDE of the box. The switch is on the INSIDE of the box. If you removed the nut, you can't pull a one inch diameter something through a 3/4 inch hole. The box needs to be opened. And then you need to move ONE wire at a time from the old switch to the new paying attention to the SIX switch terminal letters. So why not do the easy the thing. Look for the letter code. Then buy the corresponding key from the dealer. then go to Lowes or Home Depot and have a bunch made. You can also use a dental pick to extract the key and any locksmith can make you a new one.

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reason for the new ignition module and everything would be because even with the old key when you started the engine the key would just fall out and never stay in the ignition.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

The reason for the new ignition module and everything would be because even with the old key when you started the engine the key would just fall out and never stay in the ignition.

1978 ? Yeah , the pair ( key and lock cylinder ) could be a bit worn by now... It will serve you right to look for an online manual of your control box....you will have to open the control box to replace the lock/switch. Not terribly hard to do , just seperate the parts SLOWLY, and pay attention as you seperate.... peek in and see where things are before pulling completely apart.

1976evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey the engine runs great! But I just found out that the engine is actually a 1976 and I'm not really sure if the control box is actually the original , I think it might be some control box that dosnt even go with the engine but just happened to work out with the teleflex universal throttle and shifT cables

Sixmark

If the box you have in your originalpic is correct then it sure looks like an OMC box.

According to the evinrude parts guide it would be a 79 or newer control box