Going to make my own snap on cover, any tips

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice
I have the snaps and screw studs ordered to make my cover, looking for any tips to make this easy...

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Going to make my own snap on cover, any tips

Yeah, do you have any experience sewing? because it won't be as easy as just cutting it to shape, you will need a good quality vinyl, a quality sewing machine (not a $150 walmart special). You will also need to make sure and use thread that has UV protection.

If you don't have those things, especially the sewing machine, then you might want to call around and check prices for having them made especially if this is going to be the only heavy sewing project that you do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've made several including this one. But make sure you use quality materials or your efforts are wasted. Plan, measure, plan some more, measure some more, make templates, and then make the first cut. Don't forget about hems. If you don't know that those are, you probably shouldn't be doing this. Do not make seams the long way down the boat. Always go across. All seams are double sewn. I cannot remotely teach you to sew so practice on scrap fabric. Use heavy duty needles (for leather or denim). As mentioned, a WalMart $99 sewing machine will not do this as you will need to get through several layers of material at times. The nose bra in the following picture is separate from the cover. That way I can leave the trolling motor on the boat when I put the cover on at night. No straps are needed on this cover for highway travel. In fact it sucks down rather than blowing up like most poor fitting covers. Keeping air from getting under it is crucial.

BoatCover2.jpg

I also made this cover 15 years ago and it is still in use today. It's getting a little tired but it has had a hard life.

Pictures008.jpg

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Do not make seams the long way down the boat. Always go across.
Not always. There are several applications where a center seam is preferable. 'Sides that I agree 100% with what's been said:

Good material (Sunbrella), good thread (Tenara aka GoreTex), good fasteners (all stainless). Commercial sewing machine, we use Consew. Ya it pays to have a lil practical experience sewing canvas too.

'Less'n ya know what a hem or a dart or a roach or a seam-allowance or a top-stitch are? Don't start ...

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

i has planning on having a tent and awning shop sew hem, my question is should the female snaps in the hem going through both layers of material or just through one layer and then the hem? the cover material I'm going to use is a travel cover that is to big for my boat. good or bad idea?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The best way to do the snaps is to have webbing sewn in the hem. The snaps go through three layers of material (the outer shell, the webbing, and the inner part of the hem. The more material there is for the snap to fasten to the less chance there is for it to pull through. As for which way the seams run depends on whether or not you plan to trailer the boat and where the seam is. But since the cover is already made except for modifying the size, this is a moot point.

Sixmark

Sorry I said vinyl earlier, it can be a fabric of your choice, I just happen to be in the middle of making a vinyl enclosure for a mid 80's boat, which is what many of them had back then.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

A buddy and I are going to make covers as well. We priced a commercial grade machine from Ebay and all materials and we think we can do it for 300 total, with snaps.

Sixmark

If you can find an old sears/Kenmore from the late 60/early 70's they work rather well, but make sure you can get an assortment of presser feet and cams with it, mine will handle multi layers of vinyl, denim, leather, etc.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Lottsa good info here,....

I'll add,.. I've fallen in love with "Common Sense" snaps....

I've also found These Guys to be the best prices on many of the things needed for this kinda jobs...

Oh,... 'n my tip of the day,... Water flows Downhill....

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I've fallen in love with "Common Sense" snaps....
And what's not to love? The best, most positve fastener on the market! Though a lil obtrusive for some ...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want it to look like this:

binding.jpg

Basically it's nylon webbing with a binding along the edge. The snap goes through one layer of material(Sunbrella in this case) and the reinforcement webbing. The binding's purpose is to finish the edge.

I use this tool for my snaps
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/...(Aluminum)_for_Installing_Fastener/index.html
I know its expensive but your are going to be swearing at the cheapo hammer tool. Another problem with the cheapo tols is that they distort the snaps so they don't fit tightly when you are done.

When I did my snap in covers, I use quick fits to make the job easier aligning the snaps and making the final trim. Problem is that they are quite pricey for a one time job.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boating_and_Marine/Boat_Hardware/Quick-Fit_Fasteners/index.html

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

Here is the machine I use:
sew.jpg

has a nice binding attachment for it.

I find a snap on cover that goes around a windshield like mine is WAY harder to make that a regular boat cover. I make patterns for the windshield so it has a perfect fit. When mine snaps on its pretty tight which is what you want if you have plans on towing with it. You also want to reinforce wherever the cover hits edges with vinyl.

TyeeMan

Never thought I'd say it but man am I envious of you dudes that can sew. :) Looks like some awesome work done in the above pictures. The cover I had made (by another guy that can sew) wasn't as form fitting but something to to think about if this will be your first cover you are making. He uses some really nice fabric, kind of like a coated polyester canvas. Won't shrink, won't stain, won't mildew. Any way, my boat has a windshield (fish and ski type boat) and basically what he does is he'll run two pieces the length of the boat, seam down the middle, and then sew in the side pieces. He uses two poles for support in the front and back, reinforces all wear points with double or tripple fabric, snaps through webbing around the hem,,I think that's what you call the edge that snaps to the boat. Again, it's not that form fitting but it sure does turn the boat into a bullet going down the road. I had thousands of miles on that cover until the boat got totalled. So I need another cover.

Man I wish I could sew. . .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As much money as you save, its still a big job and it takes awhile to complete. These days, I have so little time that I am actually paying other people to sew things. My sanp on cover took me an entire weekend. They are actually more difficult than a whole cover since they are so much more precise. The only saving grace is that they are a lot lighter and you don't have near the bulk when you are sewing.