1973 Starcraft (Chieftain?) 24' project price check

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
starcraft.jpg

This boat showed up for sale locally and I'm interested as it's pretty much the exact boat I've been wanting for years and I'm willing to tackle a project.

I spoke with the owner and learned that it has been sitting outside for the past six years uncovered. Due to this he thinks it will need a pretty complete restoration with new floors, upholstery, etc, etc.

He the boat has a Ford 360 engine and an outdrive though I was unable to get the make of the outdrive, he said when he first bought the boat in the mid 90's he put $1,000 into getting the drive rebuilt and also did a pretty complete restoration of the boat at the same time with new floors, new upholstery, and some engine work.

The boat comes on the trailer and he has the title and registration for both the boat and trailer. He is asking $1,000 OBO.

Is this price in line considering the amount of work that will likely need to be done? Anything I should know about the 360 engine? I'm pretty good with mechanical work and have done new floors in smaller boats so I don't think there is anything that I would get over my head on with this project.

Any words of wisdom, things to check when I go to look, or is the price too high to consider in this condition.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Starcraft (Chieftain?) 24' project price check

Neat looking boat, but after sitting uncovered for 6 years, that price seems high.

Bondo

Staff member

The boat comes on the trailer and he has the title and registration for both the boat and trailer. He is asking $1,000 OBO.

Ayuh,... Without knowing what Drive, 'n that Ford 360s were Never used in a boat,...

I'd say that price is quite abit High....
Especially if ya can't hear it Run...

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

What would you consider to be a fair price?

Also does anyone know the hull weight on the 24' Chieftain? I'd like to have an idea of scrap value on the boat just as a consideration if I make an offer.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What would you consider to be a fair price?

Also does anyone know the hull weight on the 24' Chieftain? I'd like to have an idea of scrap value on the boat just as a consideration if I make an offer.

Here is the kicker...

He'd probably make more on scrap value up your way than what you should pay him for that boat project. Let's just keep that between the two of us though as I'd love to see this rig rebuilt!

I'm with Bondo - if you can't hear it run, you are basically buying a aluminum hull ready to be completely and totally rebuilt - deck, transom, flotation, cabin, paint, vinyl, engine, outdrive, trailer tires/bearings, pretty much the whole thing.

That being said, along with the fact that I'd love a 24-26 footer, combined with my bottom feeder budget, I'd probably offer half his asking price.

Have fun and good luck!:D

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the kicker...

He'd probably make more on scrap value up your way than what you should pay him for that boat project. Let's just keep that between the two of us though as I'd love to see this rig rebuilt!

Have fun and good luck!:D

That's what I'm worried about. I'll bring my camera when I go to look and I'll post the pictures when I get back. Hopefully it turns out to be better than a scrap value boat, but if it is I'll have no problem leaving it where it sits.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most of these boats of that era had the straight 6 Chevy engine--165 hp. They were good weekend boats--fast enough to cruise medium distances on inland waterways. I had a neighbor that had one, and he had to completely rebuild the transom. A Ford 360 engine would have made a good boat motor, but I don't recall they were ever used. In a pickup truck, you fuel mileage was dismal with that engine.

I think if you don't know the brand of the motor, you may be getting in over your head. It could be a money pit.

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I talked to the owner of this boat and the boat does not have a 360 Ford in it. I don't even know if Ford made a 360 to my knowledge the made a 351 which was 233 hp. This boats motor is 188 hp which would make the engine a Ford 302. - MC

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wasn't a 360 a Mopar engine size?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

The 360 thing had me interested also. It appears it was introduced in the late 60s and out of production by the late 70s. Probably not a popular motor.

The 188hp marine motor, I believe would be a 302.