Overnight In A Cuddy Cabin?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, we've had this boat since '09 and have never spent the night on it. It's a 20 footer and the cuddy cabin can fit both of us sitting up or laying down pretty nice. I'm 6'1" and have no problem laying down in it, but have very little-to-no extra space at either end (feet or head). Wife and I can lay fully down, one on one side and the other on the other side of the cabin. If we'd have to use the head in the middle of the night, we'd have to both get out of the cuddy, take out a couple of cushions, put the porta potty inside the cabin and go. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but could be done. Don't know if there are any public restrooms that are open all night there. We have a hatch on the roof of the cuddy for some air if we needed it. We would also hear some traffic as the Jacksonville Landing is right by a bridge going into downtown and there are a few restaurants and a couple of nightclubs at the Landing as well. We have a portable DVD Player, so we could even watch a movie in the cabin! But, like I said, we have never spent the night on this boat and was wondering if anyone (single or couple) have spent the night in a cuddy cabin and been ok with it.
What do you think?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Overnight In A Cuddy Cabin?

Staying overnight is alot of fun and very comfortable in our boat, we have a full head but never use it as when your camping its the bush for #2 (outhouse hopefully) and the swim platform for #1 after lights out.

Make sure you have good bug netting if your right on shore.

emilsr

We've done it a few times. If your berth cushions aren't any thicker than ours my advice is to drink heavily, and bring some aspirin for that morning backache. :redface:

It can be done, and it isn't THAT bad, but nothing like sleeping in a bed. Our porta potti is mounted under the v-berth, so I took it out and set it in the cockpit of the boat so we could use it without disturbing each other. The gunwhales are pretty high, so that gave enough room to put the cockpit cover on for some privacy. Again, we can do it now and then just for fun but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend.

Robbabob

We have the 22' Cuddy in signature. When we pack for the overnight, there are far too many things to keep the boat ship shape overnight; what's in the cuddy for storage (bag of clothes, dry box, floaties) comes out for us to sleep. Ours does not allow either of us to sit up, you're lucky.

In ours, we really can't sleep head to bow due to the close quarters, so our feet go up there. Thus, our heads are then below our feet and not very comfortable. Wife purchased firm slanted pillows that gradually slope up to level this out, then add a pillow for head.

Port-a-potty is for emergency use only; #2. Ours is afixed within the cuddy under similar cushions you describe. If bathrooms are not an option, use a plastic coffee can if the stern is too visible to perform the #1. If not understood already, perform all #2 during available bathroom times.

Ah yes, the bugs... not fun. have screens around the cabin. Found a $.97 ring/shield that says last for like 200 hours to shield you from the bugs. Can't believe it's true, but purchased a few and have yet to try them out.

Nothing more romantic than going on a sunset cruise. Make sure you have those navigation lights working ;-)

Snacks, wine, champagne. It takes a little of preparation to have a fun time. Either try to pack everything or just enjoy having it near enough you can boat/walk to.

Let us know how it goes!

Robbabob

We've done it a few times. If your berth cushions aren't any thicker than ours my advice is to drink heavily, and bring some aspirin for that morning backache. :redface:

It can be done, and it isn't THAT bad, but nothing like sleeping in a bed. Our porta potti is mounted under the v-berth, so I took it out and set it in the cockpit of the boat so we could use it without disturbing each other. The gunwhales are pretty high, so that gave enough room to put the cockpit cover on for some privacy. Again, we can do it now and then just for fun but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend.

+1 alcohol and Aleve helps the body soreness. We camp out in the boat at least 2 times per month.

Knot Waiting

I stay in my 23' Cuddy a few times a summer and love it! Although I have shore power and and air conditioner so there isnt much for "roughing it". The sound of the water lapping the hull is uber peacefull and if you got yourself a girl for the night making waves takes on a whole new meaning, lol. Enjoy!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When I was young I cruised up the Hudson River to Canada and slept on board a 15 footer with full canvas every night. So, now, my 21 foot cuddy is a luxury. At 65, I have no qualms about camping out on the boat overnight, but I wouldn't do it for a week or more. And yes, Christening the boat with a warm woman---been there, done that, bought the tee shirt, wore it, washed it, and threw it away. If the boats a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I spent a night out in my first boat, a 21' walk-around cuddy. (Almost) immediately went shopping for the 24' express cruiser I ran for the next 2 years. We have the bug- hence the 27' in my sig... purchased last fall and not used yet.

If you haven't tried it yet, you should. The worst that can ahppen is that you have one bad night. Or, you could end up enjoying the hell out of it.

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

consider battery powered fans. You need to have the air moving, and to exhaust the moist air from breathing.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

If you haven't tried it yet, you should. The worst that can ahppen is that you have one bad night. Or, you could end up ...

buying a bigger boat if you enjoy yourself too much. At 6'1" on a 20 footer, you may find that lying down and sleeping are two different things. So long as the admiral is a good sport ... go for it.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

We sleep aboard our 25 foot cuddy often. We use the pump-out porta-potti all season (day trips too) as well; why suffer?

I fabricated two 3" exhaust fans that vent air into the cockpit and have blast gates that can be closed to seal out any water, if necessary. They don't move much air, but they draw almost no current and make virtually no noise. They do a great job of keeping the cabin air from becoming stagnant and laden with moisture.

I bought a 2" memory foam mattress pad and cut it to fit the V-berth. Makes a huge difference in comfort.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

had a 21 foot bayliner cuddy with same set up for head. its manageable, easer for guy's to use the swim platform. spent many nights out with the girlfreind. loved it !!!!! we had a full camper top with screens so you could move around and not worry about bugs. defiantly need a fan to move air and a velcro in screen for the hatch.2 batteries separate on board, so you know it will start the next day, and enjoy!!!!!! we liked it so much that we upgraded to a 24 aft cabin this year, and already thinking about bigger for next year. happy boating

GaryAK

Seaman

A friend, his wife and I did a 4 dayer on his 20 footer and I thought he had a good work around the porta potti issue. His was a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat on it. At night, he placed it outside the cuddy so if needed, you could just go out and use it. He also Rube Goldberged a shower curtain so if it was raining, you could do your business on the dry. During the day, two of us would go in the cuddy for a few moments while the pooper did their thing outside where it was easier. I always slept on deck as it was way to cozy for 3 inside. I've always worked outdoors in jobs where you couldn't just opt out due to weather so no problem for me. We did have pretty crummy weather but a great trip none the less. Just do it...you'll find out what you need to do to make the next time even better!

LuvBoating

Mentioned this to my wife yesterday. Will look to see what is available.

consider battery powered fans. You need to have the air moving, and to exhaust the moist air from breathing.

LuvBoating

Shore power and a/c for a cuddy? I don't remember looking at any cuddy that had shore power and a/c in it. What year is this boat? When I think of shore power and a/c, I pretty much always think of a full-size cabin cruise boat (25' plus)! Anyway, our boat is a 20 footer, and even though the cuddy on is large enough for both of us to sit/lay in, the engine compartment holds a 5.7L V-8 which is no small engine......for us anyway. Guess the size of the cuddy and engine compartment is what takes away from the deck space, which is somewhat small.

I stay in my 23' Cuddy a few times a summer and love it! Although I have shore power and and air conditioner so there isnt much for "roughing it". The sound of the water lapping the hull is uber peacefull and if you got yourself a girl for the night making waves takes on a whole new meaning, lol. Enjoy!

LuvBoating

A few years ago, we started looking at full-size cabin cruisers (25') after selling our old bowrider. We also looked at a few cuddy's, but I could barely fit into any of them! Problem with the cruisers was the buying cost and maintenance cost/cleaning of them! We looked at one cruiser that we really liked, but it was quite big for us to be hauling around on it's trailer. The couple that owned and towed it were 30 yrs younger than us! As it is, we can wear ourselves out just cleaning the cuddy (inside/out) we have now! A cabin cruiser is awefully nice to have, if the money is available to put it in a slip or dry storage and don't have to haul it around on a trailer! We chose the cuddy we have cause the inside of the cuddy was a nice size and the cost was right.

I spent a night out in my first boat, a 21' walk-around cuddy. (Almost) immediately went shopping for the 24' express cruiser I ran for the next 2 years. We have the bug- hence the 27' in my sig... purchased last fall and not used yet.

If you haven't tried it yet, you should. The worst that can ahppen is that you have one bad night. Or, you could end up enjoying the hell out of it.

My .02

LuvBoating

Ok, what we are really wondering is........how many older couples (our age bracket:60 plus) have/had a cuddy and slept n it? We know that 10 plus years ago, we wouldn't have had a problem doing it, but our bodies back then were younger.........and YES, when we were 52, we could definitely do more physically than we can now. But, then again, I've had a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery since being back in my early 50's!!

Expidia

Commander

Just put the bimini up and put the porta potty in one of these for day or overnight. My Wife loves this accessory!

Makes a great changing room too. It's great when you are in a crowded marina and the bathrooms are not too clean or you don't feel like walking a mile up some dirt road to reach a bathroom, especially in the dark.

For cuddies where you don't want to remove the cushions to get to the potty, It has velcro straps, but I bought 4 hiking clips in Walmart's camping section and can hang it like a minute. It can also be rolled up and stored in the bimini. I keep it rolled up in a locker.
Hikingclips.jpg

I actually bought this enclosure off iboats as when I did a search they came up the cheapest. Like $59. It's a nice quality weight fabric and it's made by Taylor Made.

Has a multitude of uses too . . . you just need to think a little more creatively :) :D :D

67867privacy_3.jpg

DSC05552.jpg