no steering at high speed!!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
DSCF9074.jpgView attachment 934121st day of pajam rebuild 007.jpgSANY0129.jpgI just got through putting togeather this starcraft boat,with a 70 hp johnson and power tilt n trim and teleflex no feedback steering,works great at slow to mid speed but when im on plane it wont turn at all almost feels like it is locked up any ideas my friends?DSCF9796.jpgconsole pics 017.jpg
these are pics of 4 before shots and one near complete post more if needed.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: no steering at high speed!!

Are you trimmed out properly? Mine is a bear to steer on holeshot until I trim out. Once it hits the sweet spot, I can turn it with one finger (200 HP, cable steering).

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

This was the response I received comparing rotary with and with out NFB

Regular steering is -- well -- regular steering. If you let go of the wheel while underway the steering may move by itself one way or the other due to to engine torque. You therefore need to apply some steering effort to keep that from happening. The higher the HP the more of an issue this is. NFB steering systems have a locking clutch in the system that prevents the wheel from turning. Just a slight pressure by the operator releases the clutch and steering is normal. It is a great system but does take a little getting used to. You will probably complain that steering is hard to make minor corrections. Fact is, you are over steering so set your direction and unless wind or water conditions dictate, you shouldn't need to make those tiny and frequent small wheel movements.

I'm just guessing but it may have something do with the locking clutch

thanks for confusing me more lol,i apply serious muscle power when underway and nothing is letting me turn it,takes all my power just to change course and a u turn is impossible.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Are you trimmed out properly? Mine is a bear to steer on holeshot until I trim out. Once it hits the sweet spot, I can turn it with one finger (200 HP, cable steering).

this sounds like your on to something here,i am in the process of hooking up my switch at helm to control tilt n trim and then ill try to find that sweet spot.do you think a trim tab if off a larger mtr was installed it would affect it.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I also have a question about if there should be something to hold cable just before it goes into tilt rod besides the screw on thing.mine doesnt have one of these but i think it usto.Its like a little metal bracket on transom that then hold cable tight and near mtr.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No. Those brackets are only for motors without a tilt tube. You don't need that.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this sounds like your on to something here,i am in the process of hooking up my switch at helm to control tilt n trim and then ill try to find that sweet spot.do you think a trim tab if off a larger mtr was installed it would affect it.

I don't think the trim tab will help with steering effort - that's more to counter act a pull to one side. Definitely get the tnt hooked back up and play with it on the water. I bet a donut you will find that once on plane and trimmed out (up) properly, it will steer much easier.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think the trim tab will help with steering effort - that's more to counter act a pull to one side. Definitely get the tnt hooked back up and play with it on the water. I bet a donut you will find that once on plane and trimmed out (up) properly, it will steer much easier.

I am having the same problem, very easy to turn either way sitting, but at speed it takes alot of effort, I have tnt and still makes no difference on the steering. I wonder if the motor could be too low??

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I see you're using a used engine. You didn't say if the steering system is new. If not, sometimes the cables will bind in need of lubrication. Also, the rod on the front of the motor can gum up due to weathering/water--needing cleaned out with a wire brush and relubricated.

It really sounds as if an adjustment of the steering trim is needed. I suspect there's a plug on the top of the lower unit that can be popped out, and probably an allen head bolt needs loosened. If it's difficult to turn the steering wheel to the right, you move the tab a little to the right and tighten it up. Then, run the boat. When effort to turn the boat is the same side to side, you've got it right.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I am having the same problem, very easy to turn either way sitting, but at speed it takes alot of effort, I have tnt and still makes no difference on the steering. I wonder if the motor could be too low??

what kind of boat and mtr you got?

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I see you're using a used engine. You didn't say if the steering system is new. If not, sometimes the cables will bind in need of lubrication. Also, the rod on the front of the motor can gum up due to weathering/water--needing cleaned out with a wire brush and relubricated.

It really sounds as if an adjustment of the steering trim is needed. I suspect there's a plug on the top of the lower unit that can be popped out, and probably an allen head bolt needs loosened. If it's difficult to turn the steering wheel to the right, you move the tab a little to the right and tighten it up. Then, run the boat. When effort to turn the boat is the same side to side, you've got it right.[/QUOTE
newer teleflex system bought used on e bay,the allen wrench ththing im confused mine doesnt have that i think.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I have an '84 17' crestliner with a 90hp johnson with the same set up as yours. Turns very easy until you get going...

mine too,at slow speed it moves with one finger but when on plane it wont turn for crap.if i find the solution i will tell you.boats in storage now and i wont be able to go to lake till this sunday to try to fix.
does yours have a trim tab also send me pics ok.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go out this weekend as well, may have to work.. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon as well, the before and after, started from the ground up, the motor as well, I don't think it's the cables, I would think it would be hard to turn at anytime if it were, but I could be wrong, sure wouldn't be the first time! Between you and I working on the same issue and the help from the board, we'll get it figured out!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

thanks! i had a ranger bass boat 16ft with a 115hp and the steering was great,but it wasnt like mine it had the long colum instead of this little squareish reel.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

my bet is that the trim tab needs adjusted

Thanks i hope the boat names helped,if not tell me what ur lookin for so i can give ideas.I took off the trim tab for now will test it on sunday. by the way beautiful boat post pics ok.