New Livewell pump doesn't pump water

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a new 14ft Discovery Voyager Boat over the winter, and finally got it in the water. The original livewell pump was leaking because the hose barb was cracked. I replaced it with the same pump SeaSense 800gph through hull pump. It runs but does not pump water. The hoses are also new. I replaced them over the winter, with new hoses. I am sure the feed hose is not plugged. I can screw a garden hose to the threaded portion that sticks out past the hull, and it pumps water into the livewell past the pump no problem. The pump is running, but nothing pumps? any ideas? :confused:

Art Bernard

Banned
Re: New Livewell pump doesn't pump water

If the hoses and pump aren't cloged and there is no valve shut, it sounds like evan though the pump motor is turning the impeller isn't or the impeller is damaged. When you hooked the garden hose to it, it may have just been hose pressure pushing the water.

Art

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Input and output correct?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If your wiring is backward, the pump will run backward. As also stated, make sure the direction of waterflow thru the pump is correct.

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice

The input and output can't be backwards, Its a through hull pump, where the pump treads directly to the transom. It draws from the outside, and pushes out the hose barb to the well. also I followed the instructions, Brown to + and black to -. Pretty straight forward. That is also how the old pump was wired.?

15hpevinrude

Seaman Apprentice

tried reversing the leads, no difference, but you could tell by the sound that reverse polarity was wrong. I rechecked the new hose. no kinks, less than 8ft of hose, The pump is 4-6 inches below waterline, and the fill nozzle for the livewell is maybe 6-8 inches above the waterline. I worked on it all night, still won't fill.?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Have you tried priming it? More than likely it is a centrifugal pump and they really don't like pumping air.