How to remove mold and mildew

Searay260cc

Seaman Apprentice
My boat sat for about 3 years and the seats (leather or feel like it) have those dots on them i think it might be a combo of mildew and mold. What can i use to get rid of it as in solution. I head anything that contains bleach but what would you guys suggest?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to remove mold and mildew

Mr Clean Magic Eraser and go for it.

NYBo

Admiral

It is almost definitely vinyl, not leather. There are a number of mildew strain removers available; look here. You have to be careful with products that contain chlorine bleach because they can damage the stitching in your upholstery.

Searay260cc

Seaman Apprentice

What if I use the tilex mold and mildew? It's about $4 at wally world

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

What if I use the tilex mold and mildew? It's about $4 at wally world

This will have bleach in it from what I recall. I personally use simple green around the boat. Dilute it as needed, and it is safe for the environment.

a70eliminator

Captain

I had the same blotching grey stains from mold and mildew on my white vinyl seating, my boat also sat for several years under a tarp before I bought it, I tryed all kinds of cleaner and 90% of it cleaned up but I don't think it will ever completely go away. I haven't tryed this Majic Eraser everyone raves about maybe I ought to.

nlain

Commander

Simple Green Marine, spray on let it sit a few minutes and work it a little, keep it moist, then wash it off.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

2nd that on the simple green, Also the mean grean from the dollar stores works just as good and at half the price.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3rd on Simple Green. Use the stuff every where on the boat. The concentrate stuff goes along ways diluted.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the time mold comes from the underside of the vinyl attributed to wet foam seat cores. Somes times it's surface, but if it's from underneath ,the only way to get rid of the spots is to remove the cover and attack it from the backside.

204 Escape

Ensign

I agree with both the magic eraser, AND the Simple Green. I made up some Shredded IVORY soap, (in a bar), and water that cleaned the seats really well, as well. (BUT, I didn't have any mold). It did smell good though !!!!! ;) You could use liquid IVORY dish soap as well, and save the shredding.

Moody Blue

Captain

Spray 9 is the cleaner of choice for me. I use it on the boat and the RV. Cleans up mildew very well.