Cobalt vs Regal - New Boat Purchase - Need a little advice

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobalt vs Regal - New Boat Purchase - Need a little advice

Ha Ha, I could have prior to April 18th, but now it's Baylinersville for me. Actually the new Cobalts now have a hydrolic extended ski platform thing that I can't quite figure out from the ad. I thought that was pretty cool. For 100k, I'd be like a kid in a candy store but with how nice all the newest boats are becoming it'd be a tough choice.

I saw that new power platform in the Boaters World mag. It is powered, and lowers to step height instead of using a ladder to reboard with. Pretty cool. I like that new(ish) 31' Four Winns bowrider too, and that new silver and red Formula is just plain sexy. Oh well. Wife, two kids being homeschooled, mortgage, and other playtoys dictates a cheaper boat. 21yr old Four Winns it is.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

My First mate would get tired of sitting backwards in the Cobalt, in the amidship port seat (the left seat) In the Regal, that seat swivels! (just something I noticed) Other than that, they both seem like fine boats. Also, the Regal mentioned is 21' The Colbolt 20' it isn't an exact comparison, but very close.The smaller boat could make a difference at tax time. I went on both mfgr's web sites, I like the Regal myself, but you have to make that decision! Happy Boating what ever you decide!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I saw that new power platform in the Boaters World mag. It is powered, and lowers to step height instead of using a ladder to reboard with. Pretty cool. I like that new(ish) 31' Four Winns bowrider too, and that new silver and red Formula is just plain sexy. Oh well. Wife, two kids being homeschooled, mortgage, and other playtoys dictates a cheaper boat. 21yr old Four Winns it is.

Yeah makes you wonder what they will add on next. We have just as much fun on our 84 Bayliner as on my Sig boat. Just a little more smoke and noise. The kids don't care as long as they're on the water. There are lots of really nice over 30 footers around here at firesale prices. Not many can afford the lifestyle they require compared to our 18 footers. I bet many don't leave their slips this summer with gas at record highs.

hostage

Lieutenant

My parents just got a 2300 and love it. It has a lot of nice features and really makes me wonder how much better a Cobalt can be. I would do as others said and let a test drive help you make up your mind. Also another good idea is to write everything down on an excel document and compare the features, see what you like, want and need the most.

I know my folks boat turns on a dime and the torque doesn't pull it to one side because of the counter rotating props. Also the seats are very comfortable.

smdavis1004

Cadet

While I am sure I will get a few more comments, I REALLY wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I have been planning for a boat for several years and the Regal 2100 or the Cobalt 200 is in my price range. I still may go slightly used, but I have not decided for sure yet. As I stated before, while Cobalt may be the perceived leader, I still have a hard time buying the bottom of the Cobalt line...but I just will not go higher on my budget. I feel like in some way I would be saying, yeah, I BARELY got a Cobalt. Maybe that is just me. With that said, the Regal, along with the upgrades, are very nice. Small features that seem to add some enjoyment to the boating experience. I am going out to test drive both this weekend. I think the sales person is starting to get a little itchy for me to buy, but he can wait until I decide.

Everyones comments have been very helpful. Now I just need some advice on negotiating price. Any thoughts?
By the way, for those who commented: Yeah, I have a cool wife, no kids!

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Check JDpower's ratings for boat design, reliability and features. Regal and cobalt are always the top tier in all areas, so you can't go wrong with either one. I've always loved regals looks better. Also, the regal is cheaper and a foot bigger, i may be biased, but I'd go with the regal based on that. Either way, congrats! You will love whichever one you choose!

LibertyBoat

Cadet

Forum,

I am considering a new boat and have a couple of questions as this is my first boat purchase. Today, after visiting the dealer, my wife and I had been focused on a Regal 2100. This isn't the entry level Regal but not the upper end either. Based on features and price the dealer suggested we also look at the Cobalt 200. This is a very nice boat as well, but it is their entry-level boat. Both were coming in around $38K to $40K, based on the features we wanted. We were getting a few extras on the Regal, but not as many on the Cobalt (from what we could tell). That said, could I gather some advice:

1) Given the choice, is an entry -level Cobalt better than a non-entry Regal 2100 (Regal vs. Cobalt question as well)
2) When purchasing a boat, how much room, generally, do I have to negotiate with the dealer. Is there much to deal with, like a car. This is my first boat purchase and any help is strongly appreciated!

Thank you,
Stephen

Stephen,

We are going through the same process as you (looking for 2011 model years, as well). We were seriously thinking about a Glastron but recently the Cobalts got our attention. We also have looked at the Regals but not as thorough yet. Initially, we were interested in the 2011 Cobalt 200, but for grins asked about the 210 (it does have the wood grain panel in the cockpit), and is larger. The dealer had a 2011 Cobalt 210 on the showroom floor, exactly in the colors we wanted, fairly loaded out including the larger V8 engine. The price of the 210 over the 200 was less than 10% so we have decided to squeeze out a few more dollars to get the boat configuration that we prefer if we go with Cobalt. The dealer's inventory 200, was not as loaded out, decent though, but did not have the larger engine. We will be testing both today on the lake. I will let you know how the two rides compare. But, you might want to call around and see what the price difference would be for a 210 vs. the 200. We are going to check out the Regals. They are fine boats but based on what we have seen from the boat show, and on the showroom floor, the Cobalts are just in another league. In my opinion, well worth the additional money paid, regardless of the 200 or the 210 models. I agree with a previous poster: you might try to negotiate as many options now during the negotiation process than adding later. Best of luck to you. Looking forward to our test ride later today!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's a lot of money for a first boat. I'd just like to point out a couple of other things to consider. First of all, as a new boater there is a steep learning curve. Things get nicked, dinged and broken while you're learning the ropes, even if you're careful. Secondly, some people find out that boating isn't for them or is more hassle, etc. than they thought. This leads to the availablity of nice late model boats. A pretty nice boat that is only a few years old can be had for about half that price. You could learn on it and probably not feel as bad when something goes awry and then in a couple years, if you really still like boating you can get the fancy boat. If not, you've saved 20K. The time on the lesser boat will also give you away to really decide which features and accessories are important to you. Then you can be like Goldilocks and get it just right.

chadeps

Recruit

That's a lot of money for a first boat. I'd just like to point out a couple of other things to consider. First of all, as a new boater there is a steep learning curve. Things get nicked, dinged and broken while you're learning the ropes, even if you're careful. Secondly, some people find out that boating isn't for them or is more hassle, etc. than they thought. This leads to the availablity of nice late model boats. A pretty nice boat that is only a few years old can be had for about half that price. You could learn on it and probably not feel as bad when something goes awry and then in a couple years, if you really still like boating you can get the fancy boat. If not, you've saved 20K. The time on the lesser boat will also give you away to really decide which features and accessories are important to you. Then you can be like Goldilocks and get it just right.

Agree 100%. Consider the used market...buyers market right now, just like new. If you keep an eye out for a boat and are willing to travel a little bit, you can find a real good deal and get into boating at a much reduced price. I'm sure you could pick up a 1-3 year old Cobalt 210/220 in the mid 30s and have all of the options you want.

We have friends with a Regal. While it almost swayed my decision, it's a really good boat, it didn't quite have the level of finish that a Cobalt had. His boat was a 2004, though.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Both are nice boats. Drive 'em both and buy the one you like.

As for new versus used, 3 of my last 4 boats have been bought new. There is something to be said for not buying someone else's used stuff. Yes, you may decide down the road you want something different in a boat, but that might happen even if you drive every boat made. Do your homework (sounds like you have) and buy whatever makes you happy.

Boats are an emotional purchase decision. If we had any fiscal responsibility none of us would own one. You earned it, you saved for it, buy what you want and enjoy it! :D

bradtw191

Seaman

I agree with drrpm. 40k is a lot to play with for your first boat. Especially just a 20 footer. I would spen half that on a still VERY nice used boat and get use to boating and make sure it is something you wanna stick with nd throw that much $ into. If you shop around well enough you can find a deal then if you wanna upgrade next year you could come out on top, which wil NEVER happen with a brand new boat. WIth that said, if you are loaded enough to not care about 40k then by all means, go for it!

LibertyBoat

Cadet

I agree with drrpm. 40k is a lot to play with for your first boat. Especially just a 20 footer. I would spen half that on a still VERY nice used boat and get use to boating and make sure it is something you wanna stick with nd throw that much $ into. If you shop around well enough you can find a deal then if you wanna upgrade next year you could come out on top, which wil NEVER happen with a brand new boat. WIth that said, if you are loaded enough to not care about 40k then by all means, go for it!

The new 2011 Cobalt 200 is between 35 - 37k, depending on options (no trailer but they are reasonable), and the Cobalt 210 (22.5') is only about 10% more, which is loaded & with larger V8 engine. Maybe we are getting a smokin' good deal??? Cobalt's warranties are the best in the business. Go to their website and look at the comparison chart that they have against most well known competitive lines.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got to look past the first page, 21' Regal with 5.0 MPI = $48K, Cobalt 21' with 5.0 MPI = 52.9K. Same engine base equipped on both. Add your basic cushions and covers etc. plus tax and both are over 60K out the door. With economy the way it is there are left over 2010 and 2009 models out there at good discounts. Let us know what you decide on and post pictures of the new ride, can't go wrong with either one.
You earned it, you saved for it, buy what you want and enjoy it!
100% agree!;)

LibertyBoat

Cadet

Got to look past the first page, 21' Regal with 5.0 MPI = $48K, Cobalt 21' with 5.0 MPI = 52.9K. Same engine base equipped on both. Add your basic cushions and covers etc. plus tax and both are over 60K out the door. With economy the way it is there are left over 2010 and 2009 models out there at good discounts. Let us know what you decide on and post pictures of the new ride, can't go wrong with either one.

100% agree!;)

Serious issues with your pricing. The 200 or 210 Cobalt can be driven out the door, fully loaded for less than 40k (the 200), and 10% more for the 210. Don't let MSRP be your guide...call a Cobalt dealer. Mine made me a heck of a deal, and it was lower than another dealer's price for a Regal.

SHOP.

hostage

Lieutenant

If you are comparing a 21' Regal to a 20' Cobalt there can be a bit of difference in resell value. When I was in the market for a 18-20ft they were all going for about the same price in the same year. A lot of them had the same power plant. Though it seemed that 21' jumped up a bit in price and power or I could get a boat about 5 years older than the 18-20 footers for the same price.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have studied both Regals and Cobalts. (And I bought from a dealer that carries both and heard what it has to say about both). Although everyone says Cobalt is a better boat, and it might be, IMHO the difference is negligible. I would buy the boat you like better and then just enjoy the hell out of it. Both are exceptional quality boats.

Expidia

Commander

Cobalt.

But first get two other quotes from two other Cobalt dealers. And then go back to your first dealer and ask them to match the lowest of other two quotes. If they won't budge, then buy your rig at the other dealer. The dealer near you still has to do the warranty service, which is paid back to them by Cobalt.

What is the point of test driving the two boat brands when as a new boater you are not going to know the difference in handling charactertistics anyway?

Resale will be better on the Cobalt.

As others have noted. As a new boat owner why fork over a huge sales commission when you can buy a 1 or 2 year old rig used and that the Cobalt dealer near you will still have to do the service within the warranty period.

With continued high unemployment, the boat is going to be the first thing people need to sell quickly. And with gas over $4 a gallon already, the dealers who sell new boats are sure to see sales really slowing down again this season. Many will close their doors.

This season will be a "buyers market" for the buyer with cash or a great credit score and who shops around for the best deal as the marina gas pumps are probably already over $5 a gallon already!

smdavis1004

Cadet

Serious issues with your pricing. The 200 or 210 Cobalt can be driven out the door, fully loaded for less than 40k (the 200), and 10% more for the 210. Don't let MSRP be your guide...call a Cobalt dealer. Mine made me a heck of a deal, and it was lower than another dealer's price for a Regal.

SHOP.

I agree. The boats were both around $40K out the door (no trailer). We are having it dry-stored, so trailer not needed. While it may be an expensive first boat, we wouldn't be looking if our budget would not allow. Of course, I would do everything I can to take care of it. We are trying to look at the used market as well to see what is out there. Sounds like the price is close according to everyone.

Jake007

Seaman

First time seeing this thread. I own a Cobalt 200 1998. I have grown up on boats since I was 6 weeks old (my first boating excursion). The Cobalt is incredible.... attention to all detail. the best material everywhere....It is a high quality boat (just too small... really need 24'). This is by far the best boat I have owned... period...I believe the Regal and Sea Ray are also great boat manufacturers (but not quite a Cobalt). You should consider the dealership that will perform your maintainance, how far are they? perception of dealership quality of service,,, etc. For me the local Cobalt dealer was exceptional... the best I have ever experienced. They made me feel like a king, always address any issues. They were exceptionally trained and provided exceptional service...

As others have pointed out, I truly think your best deal is not with a dealer but with the aftermarket. We are in tough times nationwide and I think if you are willing to look, you might be suprised at the great oppertunities that are out there. A used boat can be just as good as a new one at a fraction of the cost.

Bottom line.... test drive both and but what feels right from your heart. After the deal is done it will be your boat... make sure it feels good TO YOU... If you own the boat for a long time the price difference will long be forgotten. Or one of my favorite expressions, " Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will be remembered".
Good luck to you..... you can't go wrong with either choice... many folks in America wish they had your decision to make, especially considering the economy.

Cobalt is rock solid.... Regal and Sea Ray are also great next tier boats (but not far behind). Decide what is important to YOU......

Thalasso

Commander

Check out FourWinns. Had Searay's before and wouldn't look back. Got more for less mony with FourWinns and they are just as well built.