Non Skid Tread Adhesive Removal

RCJG228

Cadet
My Heritage trailer came with non-skid tread strips on the tops of my trailer fenders. They are 6" W x 24" L. The edges are curling, and it looks like hell. I would like to R&R them, but I don't know what to use to remove the adhesive. I thought about using a heat gun to soften the glue and peel them off but my trailer paint is, I think, epoxy, and I don't know how the heat might affect it. Obviously if I applied too much heat, I will bubble the paint, so I know I have to be careful. I'm thinking the safest way would be some kind of solvent, but I also need to make sure that doesn't affect the paint. Has anyone ever had to remove these non-skid treads?

Sorry, after I hit post I realized I was in the wrong forum and editing won't allow me to delete it, and I can't figure out how to move it. Mods, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Non Skid Tread Adhesive Removal

First thing I'd try is a liberal application of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). That's not going to harm any epoxy or enamel paint, and will dissolve many adhesives.

rickryder

Commander

Instead of using a full blown heat gun....how about a blow dryer,it's not as hot..... I have used zippo lighter fluid or WD 40 to remove sticker glue....

eavega

Lieutenant

I have used Goof Off with good success to get old hull numbers off of Gel coat. Didn't harm anything, and the vinyl numbers came right off...

Rgds

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be concerned about goof-off on a painted surface. Lighter/charcoal fluid (naphtha) or mineral spirits is where I'd go next if rubbing alcohol didn't work.