Trading old for older - 1966 Evinrude Sportsman

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife thinks I'm half crazy (she hasn't told me but I can tell) because of the recent trade I'm considering. I have a 1983 Sea Raider with a 1967 Johnson 100HP outboard on it. Mechanically she's in good shape...but not at all pretty and a bit small for my family. The fiberglass is dull but cleaning up the brown speckle paint won't make it any prettier. :D It has new vinyl all around but the carpet is a bit worn. I got this on trade two years ago and was planning to keep and fix it up over time but with it being so shallow my family is worried about flipping.

DSCF0064.jpg

The boat I have a chance to trade for is a 1966 Sportsman with the 225 V6 Buick I/O. She's mechanically sound but needs a good cleaning...although I prefer dingy white versus dingy speckle brown. The trailer needs fresh paint and the fiberglass engine cowl needs spot repair. All the cushions are there - bonus!

IMG00093-20110331-1513.jpg

I've been trying to sell my boat and use the cash to upgrade but have had little interest due to looks and lack of power tilt...ok mostly due to looks! Any feedback good, bad or indifferent would be great! I want to end up with the best turd of the two.

Thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trading old for older - 1966 Evinrude Sportsman

Don't do it. You can't get ANY parts for that OMC I/O. Seriously. You'd be hard pressed to find a more obsolete drivetrain.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Don't do it. You can't get ANY parts for that OMC I/O. Seriously. You'd be hard pressed to find a more obsolete drivetrain.

X2. Don't do it. I typed up a good response by hit the wrong button so I'll just keep it short. That swap would be a downgrade for you.

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured this needed some counterpoint so here goes. :) I spoke to another Sportsman owner about parts availability. He says parts for the Buick and some outdrive can be found at NAPA. Said the OMC is a Stringer.

However, I still agree with what has been said on here about it being obsolete. I had a heck of a time trying to find parts for my current Johnson outboard...but I can at least look up the parts diagrams for it online!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm not crazy for the Evinrude style but there is a collector following. There is a website.I do wonder about parts for the drive system.
The 67 motor has capacitor discharge ign. with a destributor I bet ignitoion parts are a bear to find and expensive.If the boat is sound the motors age is likely the problem trying to sell it.

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the trade is not going to happen. Our Sea Raider ended up selling yesterday. I can't believe all the calls I received on it and it sold in just over a week. I also can't believe all the stories I heard. I had a few buyers that "only had $800 now and could pay me the rest later." Also a lot of people out there that only had $800 cash with them but when I countered at $1,000 the extra money magically appeared in their wallets. :)

But...now we're boatless with the season fast approaching. :( Oh well, now if we find a boat we like we can actually buy it instead of "wishing ours would sell."

I didn't hear back from the other guy with the Evinrude about the "easy" repairs he was supposed to make...so I may have dodged a bullet on a basketcase boat too.