Steering Cable Replacement

TenSilver

Recruit
Boat = 1989 Ranger 375v
Engine = 1989 Mercury 150 Black Max
Steering = 1989 Morse Command (model unknown), dual cable, rack and pinion.

The steering is very stiff which takes two hands to turn with some effort. I tried a cable luber idea found on this forum but couldn't get any transmission fluid to enter or go through the cables. This failed try was at the stern. I'm going to replace the cables with new ones but I have a few questions first.

In the photo below. Parts "A" and "B" doesn't line up with the holes in part "C". It's about 1/8" out of line with the holes. I had to put part "C" on part "A" first and while pushing towards the bow finally get part "C" on part "B".

It's kind of funny the way I explained it. I know the steering cables but don't know what you call part "C".

Anyway but forcing these two cables apart so part "C" will fit means that one of the rods is bent. Also this put an additional bind on the rods going in and out of the tubes. The steering was easier while I had the cables out of the tubes.

Now the question. If I order and replace the cables will I still have the bind problem caused by part "C" ?
DSCN1612-Adjusted.jpg

Another question. In the photo below by removing the eight bolts should remove both racks. Right?
DSCN1610-Adjusted.jpg

Anyone care to suggest a pair of replacement cables. The old ones are Morse 12 footers with the number E300619.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Steering Cable Replacement

Welcome to iboats.

The rack and pinion cables come with a new rack portion. It is best to replace them in pairs. Based on your photo it appears as if someone has already replaced one cable since the metal does not appear the same.

The jack plate in the picture needs to be taken into account. Check how sharp the cable bens are. Many people add a jack plate and fail to get a longer set of cables which stresses the old ones.

Another idea is to replace the entire helm with new stuff. Depending on your budget...... the top of the line is hydraulic but there are other helm options available. Check out what is offered in the iboats store and shop around ;)

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice

Check inside the steering tubes for old dried and caked grease. Sometimes grease accumulates and gets dirty, hard and cakes up decreasing the lubricating ability of the grease. This can cause stiffness in the steering. Try cleaning all the old grease out and clean all joints as best you can. The put back together and lube with some high quality grease and try it. The only thing you've got to lose is some time and a couple bucks for some new grease.

TenSilver

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.

The rack and pinion cables come with a new rack portion. It is best to replace them in pairs. Based on your photo it appears as if someone has already replaced one cable since the metal does not appear the same.

The jack plate in the picture needs to be taken into account. Check how sharp the cable bens are. Many people add a jack plate and fail to get a longer set of cables which stresses the old ones.

Another idea is to replace the entire helm with new stuff. Depending on your budget...... the top of the line is hydraulic but there are other helm options available. Check out what is offered in the iboats store and shop around ;)
The cables barley has enought slack to get them out of the tubes at the stern.

I was planning on getting a pair of cables to replace these with.

Funny you mentioned that one of the racks looks to have been changed. One of the cables is slightly longer than the other one by about 1/4". I'm thinkin that the rack / cable combo on the left has been replaced while the other one looks original.

I'm also considering the idea of replacing the helm as well.

Back to one of my questions about part "C". Do I need to get a new one since I had to force the cable ends into one side by spreading the two cables apart. If I just went with new cables, would you think I will have to spread them apart by force to get them into part "C" which puts the cables in a bind?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Check inside the steering tubes for old dried and caked grease. Sometimes grease accumulates and gets dirty, hard and cakes up decreasing the lubricating ability of the grease. This can cause stiffness in the steering. Try cleaning all the old grease out and clean all joints as best you can. The put back together and lube with some high quality grease and try it. The only thing you've got to lose is some time and a couple bucks for some new grease.
I cleaned the tubes which the cables pass through using a cordless drill,a brass rod and a brass 12 guage wire brush from an gun cleaning kit. The tubes cleaned up pretty good but doesn't look very smooth inside. But no more gunk is in there though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh...... did you know....that some outboards have to be unbolted and moved to the side to get the cable removed from the steering tube!!! Yup, sorry for that bit of news but it is true.

I would suggest getting the motor attached to a lifting ring and support it while you remove the cable. Kind of a common problem!