mercruiser stern drive repair. help i'm a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asthesun

Cadet
i bought an 88 four winns 16' boat with a 3.0 and a R - MR - Alpha One stern drive. first day out i hit a rock and the bearing in the top portion of this unit was destroyed, the bearing that sits in the cap. part number 94998A4, which is the bearing and the cap, since the cap was damaged too. the bearing parts tried to get caught between the two gears that are under that cap and i need to clean out the area before i put the new bearing and cap in. i need to either free-rotate the whole mess so i can get the metal shards between the gears or if that isnt possible, i need to take the whole thing apart i guess. anything i should know? i really just want to free rotate it and blow it out with a compressor. dont really want to take it apart... help! also, idk how to do any of this since im a noob

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: mercruiser stern drive repair. help i'm a noob...

Welcome to the forum.
Suggest you use the I/O stearndrive forum to get possibly more or better responses. And I also suggest you get a factory service manual for this unit and review
to see if you're up to the task at hand. Often these repairs need more parts than you'd think, possibly specialty tools, and since you seem to have no experience, it could be a complicated effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.