Rack to Rotary Steering - Cable Length the same?

kanada

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi gang,

Rack steering on my 78 Aristocraft 9teen is so hard, that it is unsafe to boat.
Ordered replacement rack cable, but will have to send it back, since bolt pattern and teeth are different - will not fit existing pinion gear.
This means getting the whole new helm and cable.

engine is mercuiser 470, btw.

Did some googling and looks like the rotary is better choice, since it provides smoother and easier steering. Is that so?

I really liked the Uflex Rotech gear setup - makes sense for my engineer brain.

Now the question - will the cable length be the same for rotary as it is for rack and pinion?

Thank you for your wisdom, advice, random thought, opinions, instructional videos, etc.

steering-aft-end.jpg

Engine connection - looks like standard guide tube right?

steering-rack-end.jpg

This is disassembled rack end - old style with bolts that u can take apart - new unfitting replacement is all rivets (going back to the seller).

KaNaDa

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rack to Rotary Steering - Cable Length the same?

I like the rack better(less steering effort),but money usually dictates what I end up with.

kanada

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So which one rack vs rotary requires less steering effort?
I see rack 4 turns lock to lock vs rotary 3, is that the reason rotary needs more effort?

Its a 19 foot boat with I/O, now the steering is so heavy - it is unusable.
I do not want the new system be too heavy for my wife to steer the boat.

Ah, decisions, decisions.....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Either will work on your boat.The rotary has been in use for 35years.
It should just bolt right up.
Hard steering could be the steering fin or bottom zink on the outdrive.If it's turned the wrong way it will make the steering harder.When you remove the cable.Get a tube brush and clean the steering tube.After 30+years it's probably gunked up bad.
Fill out the profile.You might be close to someone who can help.J

kanada

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have disconnected engine end and removed the cable from the the tube. Still takes a full upper body workout to turn the wheel lock to lock.

I will be putting in the new cable, but since nobody makes the cables for the rack that old, I need new helm too.

Now dilemma is which one to put in - there is enough space for rotary or rack. Engine is 470 @170hp, so the lightest steering feel is what I am going for, since I want to ski too, which means wife driving ;)