Please help me pick a boat i need opinions please. New Comer

brenna

Recruit
1990 MACH 1 - 24 FT. CUDDY CABIN, BIG BLOCK 454 - $5,800

Read more: http://louisville.ebayclassifieds.c...cabin-big-block-454/?ad=9451242#ixzz1HMNot7Ms

1989 BOMBER COMMANDER 18 ft 165 horse power , 165 hpALPHA 1 4 CYLINDER

http://boatcrazy.com/search/results...=40299&act=save&content=none&userid=&x=30&y=9

its is the second boat on the list

1989 SEA RAY S16

http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/2276357077.html

1995 14' SEA RAY SEA RAYDER 90hp 4 seat Jet.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/2274100231.html

Anyhting anyone can recommend I am not trying to spend over 7,000 basically becasue this will be a starter boat that i will eventually sell again.
please leave your input like i said this will be my first boat and i am very lost as of right now.
what i am looking for is something to hold 4-8 people that has decent speed lets say over 40 that you can ski off of, and that has some kind of boat deck to lay out on.

thanks everyone!

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please help me pick a boat i need opinions please. New Comer

If it was me, I would go for the 1990 MACH 1 - 24 FT. CUDDY CABIN, BIG BLOCK 454 for $5,800.

brenna

Recruit

Any specific reasoning behind the decision? Newer?

ya i would go with the mach 1 bigger better and more room if you were to get a smaller boat you would get it and realized that it to small after you bought it so

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any specific reasoning behind the decision? Newer?

Mach made a decent boat and also what smallboatlover said above. Just check the motor out real good. Look for rust stains on the block for possible cracks. Check the gel coat for blisters, top and bottom. Check for any wood rot or musty smells coming from the cubby. Check the brakes out on the trailer if it has any. Just do a real good look over on the boat. If unsure take someone you know that can look the boat and trailer over real good. Also coming with a pretty new cover is also a plus.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get an old Starcraft.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This question is similar to asking what kind of woman should I marry. Depends on what you want.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The MACH is a lotta boat for an inexperienced boater....and that 454 will eat you outta house and home in fuel bills....trust me...I've got one...mines 10 years older and probably even less efficient....but? I call mine a hole in the boat in which I pour gas! Don't get me wrong it's a great boat....but not what I'd call a starter boat. That Sea Ray looks nice, look for one like it in a 18 or 19' bow rider....or maybe a Four Winns?

DaNinja

Lieutenant

This question is similar to asking what kind of woman should I marry. Depends on what you want.
Yeah, kind of tough to see what the OP is looking for in a boat with those options.
Whatever meets your requirements and has been well maintained.

...Or take the advise of the most vocal 15-year old. :D

BTW...Welcome Brenna!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard brenna!! Yeah have to agree with a few here, your choices are kind of all over the map. First, forget #2, I think that's the dreaded Merc 470 :eek: But I think you need to clarify what you want to do withthis boat. The fact you have a 14 footer and a 24 Cuddy on the same list indicates a serious need of guidance. The good news is you are in the right place. Tell us all about it. Where? With who? Doing what? For how long? Trailering? How far? etc. etc. etc.

cribber

Lieutenant

It all really depends on how and where you want to play on the water. Skinny water fishing lighter is better... inter coastal cruising you want a cuddy. Buy the one you think you'll use the most. Mine is a bow rider that spends most weekends out on lowland lakes.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

wow really ninja he asked a opinion i gave it don't get mad cuz i sayed if first

First or last doesn't really matter. I don't get mad over a forum. The choices that Brenna gave were all over the map so the choices were a little hard to narrow down. I like the biggest with the most power that I can afford, but without knowing what he or she needs, I can't make a recommendation.

::waves to SBL's English tutor::
Waving.gif

brenna

Recruit

Ok people I definintly see what you are saying now. This is what I want a relax boat for me and 6-8 friends. On a local lake about 30 minutes out of town. I want enough seat room for everyone. I want it to go about 40 mph not that I care about speed I am not trying to drive fast and what not but if there comes a time I may want to. I hVe finally realized I need Bigger than a 14 ft so I have found this one http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2276517472.html
Bigger will sit more people. Newer boat. Motor seems to be able to push the boat.

Thanks for all the opinions!
Much appreciated

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK . . . getting there.

In response to boat noted and your plans:

1) No OMCs, not bagging on OMC, but there are better choices. See here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=463806&page=1

2) That boat wouldn't reach 40 MPH with one person aboard. If you want 40+ and 8 people you need a V8, maybe get away with a V6.

3) 8 people on anything less than 20 ft. is uncomfortable, dangerous and probably over capacity and will get you a hefty fine and a lot of unwanted attention . . . ;)

4) 8 people in a 25 footer is uncomfortable and VERY hard on a new boater.

5) 25 ft. is very hard on a new boater. Trailering, launching, docking, beaching, learning, all that stuff, bigger is harder.

6) Start with 4 friends and an 18 footer. Beat the snot out of it. Learn what you want and don't want, and then move on/up . . . :)

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Thats a damn good price for the mach one! Doesn't sound like its what you are looking for though. Listen to everyone above and keep looking. For $7000 you can buy a decent boat. If you don't think you can inspect the floors/transom/etc properly, hire a marine surveyor.

I echo most of the thoughts here. I suggest looking for a 20' bow rider w/small v-8 (305). If you plan on any overnighters than go similar size with a cuddy. If you get into an older boat (more than ten years old) make ABSOLUTEY sure there are no soft spots, wet foam, stringer damage and wet/rotted transom condition.