Rudder Stuffing Box HELP

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got stuck with the job of replacing a leaking stuffing box on the Charter Boat that I work on. I got the new stuffing box itself, but no packing material. I was told that 1/4" was what is needed, but I've looked and looked and can't find exactly what or where to get the material. It is not a dripless shaft seal, old school with rope type stuff (flax I believe it's called). Where can I find this crap? Any advice on how to get it put back together. Boat is currently on the trailer so diving to seal the rudder hole is a nonissue.

Thanks a ton!

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rudder Stuffing Box HELP

I got stuck with the job of replacing a leaking stuffing box on the Charter Boat that I work on. I got the new stuffing box itself, but no packing material. I was told that 1/4" was what is needed, but I've looked and looked and can't find exactly what or where to get the material. It is not a dripless shaft seal, old school with rope type stuff (flax I believe it's called). Where can I find this crap? Any advice on how to get it put back together. Boat is currently on the trailer so diving to seal the rudder hole is a nonissue.

Thanks a ton!

Here is the original stuff

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PR25X17

Here is something a bit better for the same application

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's awesome, thanks so much Guys! I would assume doing the rudder packing is same as a prop shaft packing?

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's awesome, thanks so much Guys! I would assume doing the rudder packing is same as a prop shaft packing?

Same procedure...but obviously the rudder shaft only rotates when you turn the wheel....so not as worried about heat issue/lubrication

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make the cuts for each band at an angle, so the end each band overlaps the other end, instead of butt joints.

Put the joint for each band at a different location than the adjacent band. They should not line-up.