Striper good for Watersports?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've posted this question on the Owner Groups forum and got no response, so I thought I'd post it here.

I'm looking at -well, I'm thinking about driving 60 miles to look at - a 2001 Seaswirl Striper 1851 with a 150hp outboard, Dual Console, as a family boat for water skiing, tubing, etc. Would this boat be a good choice for this?(I really want an outboard, and they are few and far between in Northern California, except on Stripers.)

The Striper LOOKS different from other bowriders, as I think it's designed for fishing in bigger water than most people water ski in. So - if anyone has ever seen the interior of one of these, or even better, ridden in one , I'd sure appreciate your input as tho the Striper's usefulness as a watersports/family boat.

Dave

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Striper good for Watersports?

Dave, I have a '98 Striper 2100 DC, w/150HP Johnny. I find it can do most anything. It has plenty of power to ski, carries a bunch of folks, easy to handle etc. The boat you plan to see has the improved hull (1851 vs 1850) over my boat.

The only issue I ran into is that with three adults in the bow, on certain rough days, every once in a great while, the bow will catch a wave just right and the boat will lurch hard left. With less than three adults this doesn't happen. If you are prepared for it, it is not an issue.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chris,

Thanks for the input!

One question: I'm not sure of the term for this, but is the height of the gunwale (from the floor of the boat) higher than, say a 4 Winns or Reinell bowrider? In other words, is it harder to get in and out of than a regular fresh-water-only boat?

Thanks,

Dave

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

making soem assumptions here, but it should be a great boat. It probably has a deck that drains out scuppers, no carpet, and a good spoon for keeping you dry--they are a popular center console but I haven't seen the DC.
As for gunwale height, the highter it is, the drier the boat and safer in rough water b.c you can stand next to the side and brace against it. The higher freeboard (height from water surface to gunwale) does make it harder to climb back in, but a boat that sixe, will be hard anyway. Put a swim step on the stern--you can still reach over to pull girls up and enjoy the view.
150 on an 18' is plenty of power

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dave, My Striper has a bit higher sides than the other boats you mention, however, the hull is nearly vertical, with little bow flare. Unfortunately when it is windy, and it puts spray into the air, it will blow back onto you.

Boats with more bow flare push the water out and down, not up.

That boat should have a self draining cockpit as well as a bilge.