Ventilation Warning decal

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Hello. This is my first post to this forum........ :D

I've recently requested a Vessel Safety Check (VSC) from the local Coast Guard Auxiliary group and he hit me on a blower warning decal. My boat is a 1978 model however because I have an engine compartment blower, I have to have a warning decal that states:

WARNING:

GASOLINE VAPORS CAN EXPLODE. BEFORE STARTING ENGINE CHECK ENGINE COMPARTMENT FOR GASOLINE OR VAPORS AND OPERATE BLOWER FOR 4 MINUTES​

The regulation clearly states that this only applies to vessels manufactured after July 31, 1980 (FAR 183.610 Powered Ventilation) and my boat is a 1978 model. I pointed the rule out in the regulation book to the examiner and his reply was "Before 1980, ventilation was not required in the engine compartment of a boat but since you have a blower, you need a warning decal".

I guess my question is to you guys, where do I get a Warning decal so I can pass this VSC?

Thank you!!!

Cliff

welco

Recruit
Re: Ventilation Warning decal

My suggestion would be to email the manufacturer of your boat and ask for the decal. Even though it was not required at the time your craft was made, they might supply you with the decal.

robert graham

Admiral

If you can't find a decal maybe have a small sign made with the USCG specified message and attach it to your boat? As long as it's there and it says the correct things, how can they complain? A local sign shop would make you one, or a place like Office Supply or Staples can make small signs however you want them. Good Luck!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A local vinyl shop might be able to make you one. Take a picture of one on a boat and show the vinyl shop.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Next time you have it inspected, disconnect the wires to the blower. Reconnect after inspection.

You have to love that red tape, you are now legal! Having to put a sticker in place just to satisfy someone's ability to look at common sense irks me. (nobody actually reads those stickers anyway!)

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Print this PDF, cut it out, and tape it somewhere with clear packing tape. Or have one custom made. Or ignore the cg inspector that didn;t know what he was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Print this PDF, cut it out, and tape it somewhere with clear packing tape. Or have one custom made. Or ignore the cg inspector that didn;t know what he was talking about.

I like all your suggestions!! Thanks for the great PDF's with the warnings.....I found one in there that is perfect.

The inspector also hit me on my registration numbers...said they have to be in BLOCKED form....which I verified. Mine are currently a fancy font so they don't meet the standards. Oh well...I guess I'll get blocked lettering too.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just go to your local boat dealer and order one. All boats use them as standard issue. Chaparral and Sea Ray will have them in their parts list.