Costco Marine Battery

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Costco Marine Battery

I have to say you mentioned that it was light duty which is almost worse for a battery than anything else. There are some conditioners that can help bring a battery back somewhat, the best case is to get a charger and keep it topped off. There is a lot of snake oil out there for batteries, but good practices will definitely help. I actually like the batteryminder stuff, even beyond their marketing hype. They have an offer now where they'll throw in a charge indicator.

I'd personally love to have an onboard one and not have to muck with it.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/BatteryMINDer-12-Volt-15A-OnBoard-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-D-p-16177.html

You can find em for around $40 on ebay and elsewhere.

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use two walmart ever start batteries. Yes they are car batteries but if you are just starting an engine and running some light electronics you can't go wrong. I have a 4 year pro rated warranty. My two batteries have never let me down. I haven't needed the 4 year warranty but it's nice to know I had it. I am out of the four years now so at $65 a battery I got my moneys worth. Beware of things that say marine. It doesn't always mean best. Just my two cents.

maui al

Cadet

Buy Costco, I have found that they live up to their guarantee or warrantees on the batteries they sell.I have used their marine batteries over the past twenty years and have drained them down to no power or very little power and the deep cycle always came back. Most of the time I stuck a charger on them over night and went back fishing the next day. In the last two years two out of three marine batteries went back to Costco because of dead cells, I got 100% back for one and 40% back for the other. I purchased two replacement auto batteries because they have a three year full replacement and prorated for the rest of the months. While marine batteries only have a three year warrantee. Since the two batteries are for the main engine and it does have a working charger the batteries should not be drained to far down on each trip. My batteries are also put on chargers at the end of the day in prep for the next day od fishing. The third battery for the electric reels is a marine battery because when in use it only gets drained and not charged during the fishing day. Costco does not ask you to prove ot test your battery when you tell them it went bad. Good place to buy batteries from.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with what has been said about Costco batteries. I have to admit that my only experience with them is with the two car batteries that I'm running right now (both about 2 yrs old.) They've both been perfect and I've still got another year worth of 100% replacement warranty left on each one.

BTW, these cars aren't driven all that much and often sit for two weeks at a time without being started. The batteries have endured this light use with no problem so far. My next car/marine battery will come from Costco.