• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Marine Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Marine Battery

Looking to buy a replacement battery for my boat, the one that went dead was a "Ever Start" marine battery from Wal-Mart that only lasted 2years of light-duty use. Checking out the Kirkland brand from costco. Does anybody have a opinion?? bad or good??
    Thanks for any replys

Re: Costco Marine Battery

I haven't tried their batteries yet but that is where I plan on getting mine if needed in the future because Costco always stands behind what they sell so far & I have been a member as long as they have been in my area.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.

I am a Newbie so please be nice.

Tow Vehicle is Land Rover when we tow that is.
    1996 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 (The Wet Bear)
    Mercruiser 5.7L w/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2
    14 1/8 19p SS Prop
    Tennessee Trailer designed for Ebbtide

sigpic

Comment

see who actually manufactures the battery, there are many different brands but only a few manufacturers, you will see the actual manufacturer in the fine print on the label. Look for "johnson controls" or "exide" both good manufacturers.

Comment

I was going to say, there are very few companies that actually manufacture batteries in this country, I have always had good luck with Costco batteries, and would not hesitate to purchase another one..

Comment

Just did a search and found that Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the same place that makes the Wal-Mart battery, the article also said that Interstate doesn't actaully make batteries, they just sell them and they too are made by Johnson Controls.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post519800

Sort of interesting read.
          GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

yep, thats right. Johnson Controls makes a good battery.

Comment

Agreed that Costco stands behind their products. ALso, you might get a smart (trickle) charger that you can leave on the battery without risk of cooking it. I had a motorcycle (sport bike) battery last for 10 years thanks to a Battery Tender (and coastal socal weather) Lack of use is about as bad as freezing or overheating a battery.
              97 Crestliner Sportfish 1750
              Ann Arbor

Comment

Well went to Wally-World today and tried to see if the dead battery had a warrenty but salesperson said they use to have a 2yr warrenty on all marine batteries but since Jan. 2011 there is NO warrenty on all marine batteries.
                I like Costco products anyway so i will be buying that marine deep cycle battery for around $75-80.

Comment

If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
                  Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)

Comment

I think I have read that the Optima batteries are good for Marine use but really bad for use in an RV/Motorhome.

Comment

Originally posted by lkbum View Post
                      If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
                      Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)
                      I have used Optima's in my Land Rovers with good results. Incidentally you can get them at Costco also.
                      Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.

I am a Newbie so please be nice.

Tow Vehicle is Land Rover when we tow that is.
                      1996 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 (The Wet Bear)
                      Mercruiser 5.7L w/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2
                      14 1/8 19p SS Prop
                      Tennessee Trailer designed for Ebbtide

sigpic

Comment

I purchased 2 of the Everstart Marine batteries this weekend at Walmart. They feature a 1 year warrantee stated clearly on the shelf and the tag. But to be totally honest at 60-65 bucks each, I don't expect them to last over 2 years. But you get what you pay for. A good battery is gonna cost anywhere from 150-200 bucks apiece and that will last.... Thats just my 2cents worth on that. I just couldnt see 300-400 bucks for batteries right now.
                        93 Regal 206sc, 4.3 V6 Merc, Alpha I
                        sigpic

Comment

I do know that Interstate supplies Costco with their batteries, and I know that Interstate batteries are good ones.

Comment

FYI

Johnson Controls make bats for Interstate, Costco, Sams, Walmart, Advance Auto
                            Johnson Controls ownes 49% of Interstate

The specs of an Interstate Bat are more stringent than the others (per district vp at Interstate)??????
                            but not sure if that matters much

Harry

Comment

Johnson Controls makes batteries for different companies, but not all johnson Controls batteries are made to the same specifcations. For long battery life, it's important to buy a brand like Interstate that has higher specs the wally world.

Comment

Working...
                              X