Motion Damping Thrust Vector Control System for Marine Craft

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A friend of a friend helped in the rigging and the inventor is looking to team with an outboard manufacturer. He says that it allows the boat to run flat with no real impact from the waves and in turns the boat stays flat like a rail car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXGJ38g7ac

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motion Damping Thrust Vector Control System for Marine Craft

Cool looking but when the bow of the boat hits a wave, it will go up regardless of how it is being pushed, right?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

He doesn't have any shots of the boat handling?

I don't know looks neat but then looks like just more things to fail and I'm not really sure of the benefit.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

He doesn't have any shots of the boat handling?

I don't know looks neat but then looks like just more things to fail and I'm not really sure of the benefit.

kind of thinking the same... keeping the boat flat in a turn is NOT a benifit and actually quite uncomfortable. Ideally it is much like an airplane, you don't want any side G's at all.

As far as improving wake handling and offsetting loads, existing trim tabs have automated gyro systems that can already do exactly this.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Cool looking but when the bow of the boat hits a wave, it will go up regardless of how it is being pushed, right?
No. The wave tilts the boat up and in a conventional situation the thrust of the motor remains parallel to the bottom of the boat and the thrust pushes you up. This system counters the upward movement by redirecting the thrust up which pushes the bow down into the wave the same way the automatic trim tab controls work.

Hydraulic dampening is tired and true control technology in numerous other applications. My automatic tab control uses a very similar control scheme. No problems there.

Go out and run a boat 30 or 40 miles under less than ideal conditions a few times and the benefits would become obvious in a hurry.