Where Are Steering and Controls Located?

sasto

Captain
We were sitting at a local Tiki having a beverage and along came a group of boats that appeared to have no steering wheel or engine controls....I swear! These boats had lettering and numbers on them which appear to be racing boats of some sort. 2 seater. The folks onbord appeared to be in their 60's and the boats were in the 18-20 foot range. Inboards, no outdrive visable to me. Didn't appear to be jet drive either.

Any Clues?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Where Are Steering and Controls Located?

Hot foot throttle and stick steering maybe?

Those new Volvo inboards have joystick steering/throttle that is fairly small and unnoticable, but those are for larger boats than 18'.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

And depending on the makeup of serious racing boats, some have the throttle controls on the port side. Starbord seat is the steering and port is the throttle man.

Or...perhaps that one just one beverage too many...:D

sasto

Captain

Or...perhaps that one just one beverage too many...:D

I wondered who would come up with this.....now I know! :rolleyes:

No hand controls were visable to me....or any others there. Appears to be older race boats that the guys were using for pleasure now. I'll do some research. Most of my guys here have no knowledge of these boats which I would assume came from up north for the winter.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you look close and see two wooden sticks.... kinda flat on one end and some sort of handle shape on the other...... possibly with a metal pivot yoke in the center...... back before mankind evolved into the fat lazy species we are today throttle and steering was often accomplished with these two sticks......

Of course, my ONLY goal with this post was to make someone chuckle. :D

Ned L

Commander

Hmm, ..... Race boat, two seater inboard, letters & numbers on the side, came from up north, If 16 feet, .......... Jersey speed skiffs maybe??
huck_stmike2.JPG

holycrap.jpg

OR, as they are more known for ....
post-2-83641-thunder_08214.jpg

post-2-85322-thunder_08_strand_disc_resize032.jpg

sasto

Captain

Hmm, ..... two seater inboard, letters & numbers on the side, came from up north, If16 feet, .......... Jersey speed skiffs maybe??

I believe this is the boat.....Wow, Thanks Ned L. I'll look it up, as I am curious.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, ..... Race boat, two seater inboard, letters & numbers on the side, came from up north, If 16 feet, .......... Jersey speed skiffs maybe??
huck_stmike2.JPG

holycrap.jpg

OR, as they are more known for ....
post-2-83641-thunder_08214.jpg

post-2-85322-thunder_08_strand_disc_resize032.jpg

OMG I WANT ONE! that looks like a blast, and most people would probably look at it like oh, that cant go fast. then all the sudden u smoke by them!!!! hahahahaha

judging by the js-08 boat, im pretty sure he is totally airborne in that skif. AWESOME

pduquette

Ensign

Ned, what hp range do the skiffs run with?? Peter.

Ned L

Commander

16?, flat bottom, straight inboards with small block Chevy V8?s (283, 305, 350?s). Foot throttles, vertical shaft solid pipe rack & pinion steering. Typical HP is anywhere from 250 ? 400+. They do in the 70 -80 mph range. Yep, when people first see one the comment is usually something like ?well that?s a funny looking rowboat?, that is until the engine starts . They were developed in the early 1920?s on the northern New Jersey shore as sort of the answer to the ?Boston Whaler?, just a versatile family recreation boat for fishing, water skiing, and all around fun. They became a sanctioned race boat class in 1948. They?re kind of like going for a ride on a vintage Harley with straight pipes, loud & rough, they are really kind of a ?love?em or hate?m? kind of boat. If you like them it is the greatest ride you can imagine. (I have 2 of them) There are some good clips on YouTube, this is a favorite, though not at racing speed. http://www.youtube.com/user/DangerDender#p/u/10/okLuwdpd9Ms

sasto

Captain

I guess I found the right guy.....cool Ned. I would say from my vantage point I didn't see the steering as yours is located different than your typical motorboat. How correct you are, when they fired them up, all heads turned. Like a Harley on water. I suspected these were vintage boats by the age of the guys in them. Looked like they were on a rally hitting the local watering holes.

Thanks Again!

Ned L

Commander

Yes, the steering is like on an old bus. Kind of different. You can see the wheel here.
post-2-64533-Jersey_Skiff_004.jpg

It's not too unusual to see them like this during a race.
post-2-98474-p518228545_4.jpg

A good number of the guys that raced back in the 60's & 70's retired to Fla & took their skiffs with them, so NJ & Fla are the top places to see them. They are very much an east coast boat (there are a couple on the west coast).
Generally, the guys that have speed skiffs are a great crowd & I'll bet would be more than glad to take you out for a ride if you showed an interest. I'll bet most of the boats you saw were built within the past 20 years. They have all been 'glass since 1967, thought the molds were splashed off of real wood boats of the '60's.

Willyclay

Captain

It's not too unusual to see them like this during a race.
post-2-98474-p518228545_4.jpg

That could leave a mark!

Ned, what is the tube structure under the mechanic's seat that is visible in the other picture you posted? Very cool old boats!

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

Willyclay - That tube structure is one of the exhausts. There are no floorboards in these boats, your feet are right on the inside of the bottom. The exhausts are typically 3 1/2" that run straight from the exhaust manifolds right back by your feet & out the transom.
One thing that makes the Jersey speed skiff quite different is that one one hand it is an APBA sanctioned race boat class that will do 70 - 80 mph, and also when you back off on the throttle & run them at 'normal' speeds, they are quite capable & sea kindly little boats (can't do that with any kind of hydroplane). Admittedly though, they do not perform at all well between about 7 knots & 20 knots.

sasto

Captain

. Admittedly though, they do not perform at all well between about 7 knots & 20 knots.

Hi Ned...I can see where the small rudder might come into play.

What is the deadrise of this machine? From the photos she appears to be a pretty flat bottom.

How do you keep your foot balanced on the throttle? I assume it is hydraulic from what I read. Do you feather the throttle while racing?

I'm going to find the guys I saw and get me a ride!

Thanks.

Ned L

Commander

Sasto ? The rudders may look small, but these boats are actually amazingly maneuverable, and responsive to the rudder, they will turn sharper and harder than just about any other boat. You can get your fingertips wet when holding the gunwale in a sharp turn. As to the amount of deadrise, ?. Absolutely none. The bottoms are perfectly flat, sort of shaped just like a big oversize ironing board with a little bit of rocker in it. The reason that between hull speed (about 6+ knots) and about 20 knots is useless is that they really have to climb up a hill so to speak to get up on top & planing. These are REALLY beamy boats. At 16 feet they are a bit over 6 feet in beam (my antique wood skiff is 6?7? in beam, a lot for a 16? boat). They are sort of shaped like a big bathtub. Believe it or not, At around 12 ? 15 knots these boats will throw a wake that will rival your large boat?s wake. Also, the stem is pointed so far up toward the sky that you can?t see a thing in front of you. They are fine up to hull speed, then you open it up to pop up on top as quickly as possible, then once you flatten off at something like 25 ? 30 knots you can back off down to about 20 ? 22 knots where they will be just staying on top. The foot throttles respond pretty much just like the accelerator in a car. The throttle in my ?glass skiff is hydraulic, most of the others I see seem to be of a Teleflex cable type. You do have to do some feathering when the boat and prop come clear of the water so you don?t over-rev the engine & blow it apart. Within the past 20 years or so the racing guys have worked on slightly changing the shape of the bottom of the boats so they ride a bit flatter & stay in the water a bit more (less rocker in the bottom). My ?glass skiff was built in 1969 & raced in 1970 (Nat?l champion that year), and has more rocker as was typical for the period. As a result, she does a good bit more porpoising & bouncing around than the new boats. As a whole, speed skiffs run very much like a flat stone that you skip across the surface of a pond. If you enjoy a bit of a thrill, they are an absolute blast to ride in, and when down at hull speed they are very sedate and conservative feeling & looking. Very stable too with that Chevy V8 down low in the middle. They hardly move when you step aboard.

Ned L

Commander

These show the steering pretty well.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Willyclay

Captain

Ned L, thanks for sharing all the history and details of these great old boats!