Removing Bad Oxidation

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Parts of the sides of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy is badly oxidized. We've tried a few "oxidation removing" products with very little-to-no luck. We have a buffer, but due to my arm strengh and/or the buffer......it just isn't happening! A Boat Detailer just cost more than we can afford.
We'd love to bring back the beautiful color of this boat, but just can't use all of the old arm/shoulder power that we use to have due to my rotator cuff surgery in '07 and wife just doesn't have that much strengh. Anyway, once we get the color back, we will start using our full cover. We were just getting too old (and lazy) to cover it before.
Anyone who can recommend any product/products for this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing Bad Oxidation

Wet sanding then buffing usually does the trick....but that still requires some elbow grease.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Parts of the sides of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy is badly oxidized. We've tried a few "oxidation removing" products with very little-to-no luck. We have a buffer, but due to my arm strengh and/or the buffer......it just isn't happening! A Boat Detailer just cost more than we can afford.
We'd love to bring back the beautiful color of this boat, but just can't use all of the old arm/shoulder power that we use to have due to my rotator cuff surgery in '07 and wife just doesn't have that much strengh. Anyway, once we get the color back, we will start using our full cover. We were just getting too old (and lazy) to cover it before.
Anyone who can recommend any product/products for this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like a candidate for the Vaseline application. Buff some onto the boat, let it sit overnight, rub off next morning. You will be amazed at the results. Not permanent, but it usually turns out to look brand new. The only thing (IMO) that removes oxidation is wet sanding and buffing. But applying vaseline definitely works, you just need to do it every season.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Obital buffer and #800 or finer wet paper, followed by #1000, then buff. Do not use a spinning buffer for any of this.

LuvBoating

Just told my wife about your reply and did she get excited.......she is the one that wants to make this 1992 look like a 2010 inside and out! And, that's fine with me. So, Vaseline will be the next thing we try. Will let the forum know how that goes.

Sounds like a candidate for the Vaseline application. Buff some onto the boat, let it sit overnight, rub off next morning. You will be amazed at the results. Not permanent, but it usually turns out to look brand new. The only thing (IMO) that removes oxidation is wet sanding and buffing. But applying vaseline definitely works, you just need to do it every season.

LuvBoating

Our buffer is an "orbital" one. So, use the wet paper by hand, then use the buffer.....right?

Obital buffer and #800 or finer wet paper, followed by #1000, then buff. Do not use a spinning buffer for any of this.

GatorMike

Ensign

You need to get you a new surgeon. My rotator cuff was as bad as it gets and mine is stronger than it ever was. They removed an inch of bone, then cleaned up bone spurs, and put 3 titanium anchors in the bone to tie the torn tendons to. I have zero shoulder pain and I abuse my shoulder, I push and pull with it as hard as I ever did. Just lucky I guess. Thank God and Dr Reed.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Can you get an 800-1000 grit sandpaper disk to fit an orbital buffer?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Our buffer is an "orbital" one. So, use the wet paper by hand, then use the buffer.....right?

Is your buffer like an automotive 8" round buffer ( you know with 2 handles on it kinda thingy ? ) If so that will not do..

Badly oxidized ? ...

Got some pics :).

Your not going to get a 2010 look job unless done right..

We all know how I feel about Vasaline..so I will not start another campaign against it in this thread..

YD.

LuvBoating

Ours was bought at Home Depot for $29. It is a 6" Ryobi Buffer/Polisher 1-speed. We don't spend high dollars, and $129 is high for us, on any kind of tools. I'm a small hand tool person, not the big tools. This buffer/polisher done a nice job on our 16' bowrider in Colorado, but that boat was stored in our garage when not in use. The boat we have now sits on a spot at a Boat/RV storage place.

Not all orbital buffer/sanders are created equal.

This is what I bought to bring back my faded/oxidized gel coat on my boat. Worked like a charm with little effort on my part.....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137715-70-7...&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=random+orbit+sander

Well worth the initial cost.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your 30 dollar buffer will not buff out your boat...not the way Im thinking you want it..

A 20 year old oxidized boat...

There is only one proper way to restore the gel..

There are other temporary "cures" that might give good results..

But those temp cures might cause further damage to your gel in the long run..

As long as you know the pros and cons of both ways.

Sometimes its better to do nothing right now ( because of cost ) and wait and save/do it right .. than to do something quick and dirty just to make appearances better..

Just FYI..

YD.

LuvBoating

We're we don't know your feelings about using Vasaline....please tell us. Thanks.

Is your buffer like an automotive 8" round buffer ( you know with 2 handles on it kinda thingy ? ) If so that will not do..

Badly oxidized ? ...

Got some pics :).

Your not going to get a 2010 look job unless done right..

We all know how I feel about Vasaline..so I will not start another campaign against it in this thread..

YD.

LuvBoating

The first thing I/we would ask you is how old you are? I'm going to be 62 in a few months. Our apt. complex maintenance supervisor had a knee replacement done and is still working in maintenance. However, he is 18 yrs younger than me! My surgeon told me to be very careful about the weight I lift and carry. My wife won't even allow me to carry a flat (case) of water into our apt., she does it. That's fine with me. I don't baby my shoulder, but I also don't do anything that would possibly tear the anchors off of the bone either. I've also had hip replacement and can't walk too far without it talkin to me. Had ankle surgery w/2 screws put in in 1988. Too much walking can irritate it. Past surgeries and age sure can slow a person down at times. But, as far as the boat goes, I do my best with it. It's our baby!

You need to get you a new surgeon. My rotator cuff was as bad as it gets and mine is stronger than it ever was. They removed an inch of bone, then cleaned up bone spurs, and put 3 titanium anchors in the bone to tie the torn tendons to. I have zero shoulder pain and I abuse my shoulder, I push and pull with it as hard as I ever did. Just lucky I guess. Thank God and Dr Reed.

LuvBoating

That $30 buffer done a great job on our old 1989 Bowrider we use to have. The boat we have now was in great looking shape when we bought it in April '09. This oxidation came about due to sitting outside at a storage place all the time without being covered, since we bought it. This is our fault, but we didn't want to keep covering it up after each time we used it.

Your 30 dollar buffer will not buff out your boat...not the way Im thinking you want it..

A 20 year old oxidized boat...

There is only one proper way to restore the gel..

There are other temporary "cures" that might give good results..

But those temp cures might cause further damage to your gel in the long run..

As long as you know the pros and cons of both ways.

Sometimes its better to do nothing right now ( because of cost ) and wait and save/do it right .. than to do something quick and dirty just to make appearances better..

Just FYI..

YD.

LuvBoating

How is Buff Magic by Yacht Brite? Anyone use this stuff.......reviews for it are very good.

GatorMike

Ensign

The first thing I/we would ask you is how old you are? I'm going to be 62 in a few months. Our apt. complex maintenance supervisor had a knee replacement done and is still working in maintenance. However, he is 18 yrs younger than me! My surgeon told me to be very careful about the weight I lift and carry. My wife won't even allow me to carry a flat (case) of water into our apt., she does it. That's fine with me. I don't baby my shoulder, but I also don't do anything that would possibly tear the anchors off of the bone either. I've also had hip replacement and can't walk too far without it talkin to me. Had ankle surgery w/2 screws put in in 1988. Too much walking can irritate it. Past surgeries and age sure can slow a person down at times. But, as far as the boat goes, I do my best with it. It's our baby!

I turn 60 next month. I realize I was extremely lucky with my shoulder surgery. I know most people do have a little ongoing pain after major rotator cuff sugery. I had mine done at age 55. I actually tore mine lifting weights with my son when I was in my 40s. I lived with the pain for about 10 years before I had it fixed. It eventually got so bad I couldn't sleep. My wife got tired of hearing me complain and hooked me up with Dr Reed. It was the best thing I ever did. I don't worry about tearing the anchors out, Dr Reed told me I'd retear the tendons before I pulled the anchors out. I think the way he put it was that the shoulder he gave me was stronger than the one God gave me. It did take me close to a year to become 100% pain free but I have been there for several years now.

Hope I didn't come off the wrong way with my comment. I just got lucky I guess, there is nothing I did before that I can't do with my new shoulder.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ours was bought at Home Depot for $29. It is a 6" Ryobi Buffer/Polisher 1-speed. We don't spend high dollars, and $129 is high for us, on any kind of tools. I'm a small hand tool person, not the big tools. This buffer/polisher done a nice job on our 16' bowrider in Colorado, but that boat was stored in our garage when not in use. The boat we have now sits on a spot at a Boat/RV storage place.

I have one of those inexpensive buffers, too. Tried the same thing.....and that buffer was worthless at getting badly oxidized gelcoat back to any sort of decent look. Not enough "grunt" in the motor. I agree the Porter-Cable orbital sander/buffer I bought was expensive, but it'll last probably as long as I care to use it. I hate spending too much on tools myself, but I also see the justification for spending $$ on quality tools that will do the job properly....and the first time. Otherwise, you'll do a half-a**ed job the first time only to have to repeat all the work a year or so from now---not exactly the smartest scenario. I absolutely hate having to repeat a job and do it twice when I could do it once properly with the appropriate tool. If I'm going to invest the effort and time, I don't want to have to "reinvest" all that effort next year when doing it right the first time would prevent repeating the work.

How is Buff Magic by Yacht Brite? Anyone use this stuff.......reviews for it are very good.

I've heard good stuff about Buff Magic, too. But if the oxidation is bad enough, a fairly aggressive cut of rubbing compound and/or good wet sanding is the only option. Buff Magic won't deal well with heavy oxidation. I settled on some 3M auto products....rubbing compound, swirl remover, polish. The orbital sander/buffer with several polishing heads was my choice and I worked a 16' boat's finish over three days back to almost new looking condition.