Removing Bad Oxidation

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing Bad Oxidation

Just a thought

If you need a buffer go to your tool rental company
Here they are 10.00 per day
After you buff the gel the right way you should not need a buffer for a couple more years

Harry

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thought I would add my .02 here......Find a professional and have them do it!!! The going rate around here is around $300. Please take it from me - you will be so glad you did!!!

I personally did NOT do that - and did mine myself. (I am a DIY'er to the core really) I sanded and buffed....and buffed.....and buffed.....and.....buffed.....and then waxed.....and it seemed like every time I would look at the boat at a different angle I would see sanding scratches in "one little spot"....so back to buffing that area. By the end - I wished I would have just hired someone to do it.

I did get alot of experience with the buffer - I now have a much better understanding of oxidation, gel coat, pinstriping (if your boat is oxidized, there is a good possibility you will ruin the current pinstriping while buffing.) After dropping $70 bucks on rubbing compound, 3m Finesse it II, and polish - AND buying a cheapo buffer at Harbor Freight ($30 or so) AND buying a couple wool cutting pads and a polishing pad (another $60) AND Sandpaper, etc I ultimately saved myself around $130 by doing it myself.....However, the task was spread out over several weekends and there were many frustrating times where I thought I was done, only to find out I needed to "redo" a few areas here and there. (Not to mention the cost I spent on the pinstriping - you may have to do this regardless of who buffs it)

Overall - I am happy with how my boat looks (I am a perfectionist) - but it took way too long, it was NOT as easy as it sounds - and my time is worth more than the $130 I saved by doing it myself.

Vasaline - is a bandaid fix. It doesn't remove oxidation - it is basically like shining up dirt.....it will be shiny, but the dirt is still underneath - and will come back soon.

Don't rent a buffer - just get the variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight for around $30. Trust me - you will need it for more than 3 days! Here is the link. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html It comes with the hook & loop attachment - and make sure you buy the hook & loop buffing pads.

Trust me.....you will wish to God you just hired someone - especially if your oxidation is "Bad"

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Must say that we are totally AMAZED at how the boat is looking after doing the Vaseline application!! We know that it's not a permanent solution, but for us, it's a heck of a lot easier!! Right now, the colors of the boat are showing up brilliantly!!
Now, can a nice coat of boat wax be put on later?

Sounds like a candidate for the Vaseline application. Buff some onto the boat, let it sit overnight, rub off next morning. You will be amazed at the results. Not permanent, but it usually turns out to look brand new. The only thing (IMO) that removes oxidation is wet sanding and buffing. But applying vaseline definitely works, you just need to do it every season.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Naw..just keep a couple cans of Jelly on hand .. Might even consider buying a case of spray silicone for your next application..

I dont think you want to start waxing after you just put unmodified gasoline or trans fluid on your Gelcoat..

Im thinking your going to have to keep the V system from now on..

YD.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Luv I agree with the Vaseline remedy. Here are my before and after pics of my boat after trying the V treatment. Granted, I am 100% aware this isn't a fix all or maybe not even the "proper" way to restore shine and color to a boat, but it's an easy fix, short term and suits my needs/wants perfectly.
020.jpg022.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

The first 2 (if it worked) is my 1986(?) Performance Plus Magnum 150 before applying Vaseline. The 2nd 2 are after with just a half-butted wipe down.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now, to let everyone on the forum here know what's happened since doing the Vaseline app:
After spending some time last weekend wiping off the excess Vaseline and doing a little "hand buffing", the colors on the boat showed up terrific. BUT, we had a thunderstorm/ down pour of rain the other night, with some light rain after that. I went over the check the boat yesterday and I can see that some of the oxidation has shown it's face back! Appears as if the rain washed off some of the Vaseline! Well, wife and I were told (straight up) that this technic was only a "quick-fix" for oxidation and that it doesn't remove it (only covers it up)....ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! But, for us it is still an easier way to do it even if we have to do a repeat. Next, we will try putting some boat wax over the Vaseline app and see what that does. Perhaps that will work better than just the Vaseline app.
One last thing, the boat still looks much better (even with some oxidation showing back up) than it did before!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I say go for the Vaseline and then wax method. Make an exercise routine out of it and apply multiple coats of wax (I also vote for the NuFinish automotive wax). Work on your boat every other day or 3 times a week building your strength and muscles up gradually.

By the end of summer you will have enough strength to wet sand and buff the boat properly in the nice weather of fall.

In the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi... "Wax on, wax off"!!!

thaphillips

Cadet

I have one of those inexpensive buffers, too. Tried the same thing.....and that buffer was worthless at getting badly oxidized gelcoat back to any sort of decent look. Not enough "grunt" in the motor. I agree the Porter-Cable orbital sander/buffer I bought was expensive, but it'll last probably as long as I care to use it. I hate spending too much on tools myself, but I also see the justification for spending $$ on quality tools that will do the job properly....and the first time.

I've heard good stuff about Buff Magic, too. But if the oxidation is bad enough, a fairly aggressive cut of rubbing compound and/or good wet sanding is the only option. Buff Magic won't deal well with heavy oxidation. I settled on some 3M auto products....rubbing compound, swirl remover, polish. The orbital sander/buffer with several polishing heads was my choice and I worked a 16' boat's finish over three days back to almost new looking condition.

I would suggest maybe going to a pawn shop or looking on craigslist for a buffer. Perhaps then you can get the buffer you need at the price you want. I agree that wet sanding is the best way to remove heavy oxidation. Be careful and remember it's still sand paper. It's always easier to sand more, than to fix what you sanded too much. After wet sanding you could use a polishing compound (3m is my favorite), if it's still a little hazy.

To maintain my beautiful shine I really prefer a polymer sealant like LIQUID GLASS or ZANIO. They sell a nautical liquid glass, but the automotive product is fine to use on your boat. Here are some links.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Liquid_Glass_Polish_Finish

http://www.autogeek.net/liquidglass.html?gclid=CODlnviOjKgCFQ4g2godwWbkCg

http://www.zainostore.com/

I'm really surprised that more people aren't using sealants in a marine environment. They last much longer than a standard wax.

thaphillips

Cadet

I say go for the Vaseline and then wax method. Make an exercise routine out of it and apply multiple coats of wax (I also vote for the NuFinish automotive wax). Work on your boat every other day or 3 times a week building your strength and muscles up gradually.

By the end of summer you will have enough strength to wet sand and buff the boat properly in the nice weather of fall.

In the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi... "Wax on, wax off"!!!

There is a reason why Nu Finish is called the once a year car polish. First it's titled as a polish not a wax. I can't speak on the formula or ingredients but a polish is normally an abrasive material used to bring out a shine. Hence the catch phrase .... "once a year". Since it is a polishing compound (remember abrasive), you wouldn't want to frequently use it on the boat.

I do believe in polishing a neglected coat, but would not use it for maintaining.

I really advocate a polymer or acrylic sealant rather than wax for regular use.

2300max

Seaman

I usally don't jump in regarding how to restore paint or finish on boats or cars it's a personal pref./choice and how much work or ability you have to bring back that new look finish. Regarding using a a buffer it's up to you but alot of guys that do there own high dollar detail job tend to stay away from low dollar equipment (habor frieght,etc). The one that's widely used is the Porter Cable because it won't cut into the paint and destroy the clearcoat and that usally happens when you don't have the experince/knowledge. Also if you don't have the physical ability to use buffers there is a product called poli-glow. I bought a kit and I plan to use it on my motorhome first and try it on my boat next....from what I've seen from the advertisments it seems to work great with little effort. I have and use the Porter Cable to detail my cars and it works great without worrying about damaging the paint/finish. There are some good products out there that works...just check out the detail guru's on the net autogeek,adams etc. I usally pick up my product at the car shows it cheaper.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

The Meguiars Boat Products worked well on mine that had sat for 5 years or so. I only had one small area of blue though (top above the rub rail) but it did a good job bringing it back. By the end of summer it was back to the faded chalky look. I might try wet sanding it this season.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Also if you don't have the physical ability to use buffers there is a product called poli-glow. I bought a kit and I plan to use it on my motorhome first and try it on my boat next....from what I've seen from the advertisments it seems to work great with little effort.

Might want to do some more research on that. At least one guy on here used it on his boat and was initially thrilled with the results. Then it fairly quickly got bad again and he had to strip it all off. It was user vegasphotoman. Might want to send him a PM before you potentially mess up your toys.

2300max

Seaman

Might want to do some more research on that. At least one guy on here used it on his boat and was initially thrilled with the results. Then it fairly quickly got bad again and he had to strip it all off. It was user vegasphotoman. Might want to send him a PM before you potentially mess up your toys.
Thanks, I'll shoot him an e-mail.....That's why I wanted to do the motorhome first and see how it comes out...