• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Bad Oxidation

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Bad Oxidation

Parts of the sides of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy is badly oxidized. We've tried a few "oxidation removing" products with very little-to-no luck. We have a buffer, but due to my arm strengh and/or the buffer......it just isn't happening! A Boat Detailer just cost more than we can afford.
    We'd love to bring back the beautiful color of this boat, but just can't use all of the old arm/shoulder power that we use to have due to my rotator cuff surgery in '07 and wife just doesn't have that much strengh. Anyway, once we get the color back, we will start using our full cover. We were just getting too old (and lazy) to cover it before.
    Anyone who can recommend any product/products for this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Removing Bad Oxidation

Wet sanding then buffing usually does the trick....but that still requires some elbow grease.
    'Dehydrated'
    sigpic
    93' Nova 202 Spyder 350 Mag

Comment

Originally posted by LuvBoating View Post
      Parts of the sides of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy is badly oxidized. We've tried a few "oxidation removing" products with very little-to-no luck. We have a buffer, but due to my arm strengh and/or the buffer......it just isn't happening! A Boat Detailer just cost more than we can afford.
      We'd love to bring back the beautiful color of this boat, but just can't use all of the old arm/shoulder power that we use to have due to my rotator cuff surgery in '07 and wife just doesn't have that much strengh. Anyway, once we get the color back, we will start using our full cover. We were just getting too old (and lazy) to cover it before.
      Anyone who can recommend any product/products for this, it would be greatly appreciated!!
      Sounds like a candidate for the Vaseline application. Buff some onto the boat, let it sit overnight, rub off next morning. You will be amazed at the results. Not permanent, but it usually turns out to look brand new. The only thing (IMO) that removes oxidation is wet sanding and buffing. But applying vaseline definitely works, you just need to do it every season.
      1991 Regal Valanti 4.3 Litre V6

Comment

Obital buffer and #800 or finer wet paper, followed by #1000, then buff. Do not use a spinning buffer for any of this.
        sigpic

Comment

Just told my wife about your reply and did she get excited.......she is the one that wants to make this 1992 look like a 2010 inside and out! And, that's fine with me. So, Vaseline will be the next thing we try. Will let the forum know how that goes.

Originally posted by ryanr623 View Post
          Sounds like a candidate for the Vaseline application. Buff some onto the boat, let it sit overnight, rub off next morning. You will be amazed at the results. Not permanent, but it usually turns out to look brand new. The only thing (IMO) that removes oxidation is wet sanding and buffing. But applying vaseline definitely works, you just need to do it every season.

Comment

Our buffer is an "orbital" one. So, use the wet paper by hand, then use the buffer.....right?

Originally posted by JB View Post
            Obital buffer and #800 or finer wet paper, followed by #1000, then buff. Do not use a spinning buffer for any of this.

Comment

Not all orbital buffer/sanders are created equal.

This is what I bought to bring back my faded/oxidized gel coat on my boat. Worked like a charm with little effort on my part.....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137715-70-73...orbit%2Bsander

Well worth the initial cost.

Comment

You need to get you a new surgeon. My rotator cuff was as bad as it gets and mine is stronger than it ever was. They removed an inch of bone, then cleaned up bone spurs, and put 3 titanium anchors in the bone to tie the torn tendons to. I have zero shoulder pain and I abuse my shoulder, I push and pull with it as hard as I ever did. Just lucky I guess. Thank God and Dr Reed.

Comment

Can you get an 800-1000 grit sandpaper disk to fit an orbital buffer?
                  197133' Chris Craft Coho/Catalina Sedan, twin CC 327QA's, Paragon V drives. Restoration in progress1985 Bayliner Capri 1952 (19' cuddy),OMC 3.0L. Restored with the knowledge here on iBoats'70 (circa) Amphicat 6x6 AATV, future Coho tender'87 Kawasaki 650SX, '90

Tow rig: '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible 455ci cude U 4BBL factory dual exhaust

Comment

^^ I agree with JB.
                    1972 Bellboy 120hp i/o " The Fish-O"

Comment

Originally posted by LuvBoating View Post
                      Our buffer is an "orbital" one. So, use the wet paper by hand, then use the buffer.....right?
                      Is your buffer like an automotive 8" round buffer ( you know with 2 handles on it kinda thingy ? ) If so that will not do..

Badly oxidized ? ...

Got some pics .

Your not going to get a 2010 look job unless done right..

We all know how I feel about Vasaline..so I will not start another campaign against it in this thread..

YD.
                      Iboats Helper

Comment

Ours was bought at Home Depot for $29. It is a 6" Ryobi Buffer/Polisher 1-speed. We don't spend high dollars, and $129 is high for us, on any kind of tools. I'm a small hand tool person, not the big tools. This buffer/polisher done a nice job on our 16' bowrider in Colorado, but that boat was stored in our garage when not in use. The boat we have now sits on a spot at a Boat/RV storage place.

Originally posted by Cannondale View Post
                        Not all orbital buffer/sanders are created equal.

This is what I bought to bring back my faded/oxidized gel coat on my boat. Worked like a charm with little effort on my part.....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137715-70-73...orbit%2Bsander

Well worth the initial cost.

Comment

Your 30 dollar buffer will not buff out your boat...not the way Im thinking you want it..

A 20 year old oxidized boat...

There is only one proper way to restore the gel..

There are other temporary "cures" that might give good results..

But those temp cures might cause further damage to your gel in the long run..

As long as you know the pros and cons of both ways.

Sometimes its better to do nothing right now ( because of cost ) and wait and save/do it right .. than to do something quick and dirty just to make appearances better..

Just FYI..

YD.
                          Iboats Helper

Comment

We're we don't know your feelings about using Vasaline....please tell us. Thanks.

Originally posted by Yacht Dr. View Post
                            Is your buffer like an automotive 8" round buffer ( you know with 2 handles on it kinda thingy ? ) If so that will not do..

Badly oxidized ? ...

Got some pics .

Your not going to get a 2010 look job unless done right..

We all know how I feel about Vasaline..so I will not start another campaign against it in this thread..

YD.

Comment

The first thing I/we would ask you is how old you are? I'm going to be 62 in a few months. Our apt. complex maintenance supervisor had a knee replacement done and is still working in maintenance. However, he is 18 yrs younger than me! My surgeon told me to be very careful about the weight I lift and carry. My wife won't even allow me to carry a flat (case) of water into our apt., she does it. That's fine with me. I don't baby my shoulder, but I also don't do anything that would possibly tear the anchors off of the bone either. I've also had hip replacement and can't walk too far without it talkin to me. Had ankle surgery w/2 screws put in in 1988. Too much walking can irritate it. Past surgeries and age sure can slow a person down at times. But, as far as the boat goes, I do my best with it. It's our baby!

Originally posted by GatorMike View Post
                              You need to get you a new surgeon. My rotator cuff was as bad as it gets and mine is stronger than it ever was. They removed an inch of bone, then cleaned up bone spurs, and put 3 titanium anchors in the bone to tie the torn tendons to. I have zero shoulder pain and I abuse my shoulder, I push and pull with it as hard as I ever did. Just lucky I guess. Thank God and Dr Reed.

Comment

Working...
                              X