Dry weight, hull weight, net weight- What's the real weight?

btcruzr

Cadet
Been looking at boats and get more confused:confused: the more I look at weightsHow can one manufacturers 23' be less than their 20-1' ?. I was quite sure "dry weight" was basically boat less engine, fluids. Wife says no, just fluids. Even searching on here, I get mixed opinions. NADA lists "net weight" and if you change engines there is no change. So, without of dragging every boat to the scales, how do you determine the real -boat, engine, fuel-weight? Thanks for any insight.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Dry weight, hull weight, net weight- What's the real weight?

Depending on the boat you are looking at.....an I/O based on dry weight is w/o fuel and toys. Yes it varies slightly from a V-6 to a V-8.

What is the issue? Do you have a tow limit you are trying to match?

btcruzr

Cadet

No, no towing issue, Lift limitation-4000lb. Using NADA, I know :facepalm:, if you enter ie: Hurricane 232 the weight is the same for a 3.0 as a 8.1 .So, I'm guessing it doesn't include I/O weight. Can't really use manufacturer specs on new models that don't match older models that may or may not even exist anymore

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The weight is still listed just a bit over 3000 so you should be fine with a 4000 lift......... as long as the boat fits ;)

A 454 weighs about 675 and the smaller motor probably 300 so you are okay.

NYBo

Admiral

Sites like NADA dry or net weight will be based on the base engine and outdrive. You have to do your own calculations for real-world weight by adding to this.