need swivel seat mounting ideas?

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm at the point where I bought a pair of seats yesterday from walmart. just the cheapie $34 white folding seats.

I want them both to swivel but man if seat hardware isnt expensive lol.

the bases from walmart are $18 each in 13" height and then you add in the swivel itself for another $8 which seems cheapest. but then you have to bolt them together and then to the seat which doesnt bother me but the hardware needs to be stainless as the boat is saltwater used.

how do these work? everything is in packaging at the store so I cant just put them all together to figure it out myself.

148-sp1002.jpg

I assume they fit into these bases:
d_0.jpg

and use these to get adjustable heights?
http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/5/6/3670576c_0_0.gif

I've been in boats that get bounced around pretty good sometimes and for some reason I see these things popping apart in rough seas that bounce you a bunch or is that something I need to get out of my head?

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: need swivel seat mounting ideas?

this is what I'm looking at right now and seems the cheapest, sturdiest:

top portion:
75016_2_0.jpg

base:
5572.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: need swivel seat mounting ideas?

The first picture is of the piece that screws to the bottom of the seat. Standard stainless wood screws are typically used to do that. The second picture is a "pin style" base that is screwed to the floor of the boat. Neither of these two pieces work with each otherr unless you have the actual pedestal (post). The post for picture #2 requires a pin-style that is threaded on the floor-end and screws into the base. The seat base then sits iinto the top of the pedestal. The pedestals are available in several different heights. There are many versions of this setup but you need three pieces (the seat base, pedestal, and pedestal base). The pedestal must match the pedestal base.

Picture #3 is used primarily on a boat with bench seats. The bottom screws to the bench and the top screws to the seat base. This type of setup is typically used in small fishing (row) boats with cross-wise seats.

Picture #4 is the same but is used where you screw the bottom to the floor and the top to the seat. The units in picture 3 and 4 are swivel only. You cannot simply lift the seat off and move it to another pedestal.