Painting my aluminum boat camo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recruit
I have a 12ft aluminum john boat made by Foremost. This spring i was planning on painting it camo because i hunt and i just want it to stand out of all of the other boats out in the water. I was wondering what i have to do to prepare it to be painted and what brand of paint i need. Also do i use spray paint or paint it on with a brush? What colors do i need to make it camo? Please POST or e-mail me at j@aol.com<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Justin

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: PAINTING MY ALUMINUM BOAT CAMO.

Here are a couple links on camo colors, and patterns but you really do not need to follow them, just go to town painting a pattern as you paint and it will come out looking good.<br /><br /> Most camo hunting boats I've seen were done via spray bombs and look good.<br /><br /> http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo.php3 <br /><br />ok... so it is only 1 link.

hokey1

Cadet

The first thing you have to do is apply a eching primer to the bare hull, if not the colors you chose will not adhere to th aluminum

D

DJ

jman6989,<br /><br />THe most important part is the prep. I assume that your boat is the natural aluminum color now?<br /><br />If so, do this.<br /><br />1. Scuff the entire hull with a sandpaper of about 100 grit. Or, use an aggressive wash pad. Wet sanding will work best.<br /><br />2. Wash the entire hull with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.<br /><br />3. Apply a zinc chromate primer.<br /><br />4. Apply the top coat of choice.<br /><br />Zinc Chromate primers are available at most marine stores or here: www.westmarine.com

rgibber34

Cadet

I painted a 10 ft. jon 2 yrs. ago with Hunter's Specialties camo paint. I would highly recommend this paint. I brushed it on after sanding the entire boat, washing it real good, and then wiping it down with rubbing alcohol. I have broken 1" ice with this boat and it didn't chip the paint! I put on 3 coats of paint, although 2 probably would have been good. The 1st coat I thinned the paint with mineral spirits.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Good heavens! It's a jon boat! If it's more than 2 years old, the aluminum has already oxidized enough to spray it. <br />Don't spend more than $1.49/can for spray bomb. Get flat black, really flat black, brown, tan and OD green. Then have fun!<br />When it chips because you dragged it over rocks and tree roots, spend another $1.49. The fun of owning a jon boat is that you can do almost anything to it (well, don't try to make it pretty :eek: ) and all you will have done is enhanced its character!

18rabbit

Captain

DJ – the same zinc chromate primer is available from aircraft supply places at about 1/3 the cost or marine supply places. Exact same 12-oz can from Tempo…go figure… :confused:

D

DJ

18rabbit,<br /><br />Yep, zinc chromate is zinc chromate. Aircraft builders have used it for eons.<br /><br />Funny though, I thought ANYTHING having to do with airplanes would be astronomically priced.<br /><br />Hmm, go figure.

Bondo

Staff member

Lowes, Home Depot, Etc......<br />Grab a few Rattle-cans,+ Go Too It........<br />The zinc primer is ava. from Rustolium at these places.....<br />Get youself a can of Red,+ Teal,+ Neon Blue,+ Yellow,+...........<br />Did you say California Camo ???????? :D

RC Marine

Cadet

Check out WAr Eagle boats for some great ideas

da_n24

Cadet

I think I have to agree with mike, just spray it down with the hose let it dry, then camo it with some spray paint. That's exactly what I'm going to do to mine.:cool:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You absolutely have to use etching primer on aluminum or the paint won't stick, what kind of paint you use doesn't really matter just what ever you are comfortable with but you have to etch it first.

Bondo

Staff member

February 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Ayuh,... It's probably painted by now,...

This thread is well over 5 Year old...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Time to close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.