boat fender opinions please

mhirsch05

Seaman Apprentice
hey all i have an old 18 foot stingray open bow boat. im looking for opinions and preferences from owners of the same size boat(give or take a foot) on what size, style, and amount of boat fenders you use. i do tie up to a rough dock for at lease 30 minute every boat trip.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat fender opinions please

The pads are 2 1/2" very dense foam rubber. Each pad is on top of another inch of the same dense foam. It's all tightly sheathed in a very tough and resiliant nylon reinforced vinyl covering. I have two for rafting up and to put on the undocked side of the boat, when in public areas, just in case. I like them much more than traditional fenders. They give a lot more protection.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You didn't mention if $ was a factor, but if you're looking to protect on the cheap, my solution was Wally World. I bought six of their bigger of two sizes 6"x20" inflatable tube fenders for $9.99 each and rigged 2 on either side of my 18' bowrider. I've never needed to deploy all 6 because I always dock in protected harbors/marinas so the other two get used for water toys when we anchor in coves to swim. They make great flotation devices for paddling around on them, or throwing like footballs to the kids! Best price anywhere in my opinion! :) Also, as an aid to keep them clean and lasting longer against rough docks here's a tip: Find a pair of under-appreciated jeans and cut the legs off at the knees. Slip the fender inside and inflate it until it expands against the denim to snug it up, or failing that, sew up the open ends so the fender can't escape. The denim adds a layer of protection to the vinyl fender, and they don't squeak when rubbing up against a metal dock or pier either. YMMV! :D

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

You didn't mention if $ was a factor, but if you're looking to protect on the cheap, my solution was Wally World. I bought six of their bigger of two sizes 6"x20" inflatable tube fenders for $9.99 each and rigged 2 on either side of my 18' bowrider. I've never needed to deploy all 6 because I always dock in protected harbors/marinas so the other two get used for water toys when we anchor in coves to swim. They make great flotation devices for paddling around on them, or throwing like footballs to the kids! Best price anywhere in my opinion! :) Also, as an aid to keep them clean and lasting longer against rough docks here's a tip: Find a pair of under-appreciated jeans and cut the legs off at the knees. Slip the fender inside and inflate it until it expands against the denim to snug it up, or failing that, sew up the open ends so the fender can't escape. The denim adds a layer of protection to the vinyl fender, and they don't squeak when rubbing up against a metal dock or pier either. YMMV! :D

The blue jean legs are a great idea. Very resourcful thinking.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Taylor made fenders have a life time guaranty

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Taylor Made 20" fenders are the only way to go. Buy at least the 5" ones. On my Stingray I bought 2 extra pairs of deck cleats that matched the ones already on the boat, and mounted 2 on each side midships between the originals. So, use 4 fenders on a side and when you aren't docked you have extra cleats to tie tubes, etc.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've used the Hull-hugr fenders for four seasons and they are a joy to have. They store easily, act as cushions when my kids want to sit on the floor, and work with almost any kind of dock. Mine have the joint about 1/4 way down. The covering slides on most surfaces, instead of sticking so they stay between the boat and dock better than a plastic fender that's not in a sleeve.
Where they don't work as well is if you tie up with another boat or if the edges of a 'rough' dock are not even and some boards stick out a couple inches from others.
Mine are the small size rather than the large panel, about 6"X24"

denpat

Cadet

I have also used the Hull-hugr fenders when I tie up to my slip. I have also mounted the ones they have to the dock. This gives you two layers of protection. I have had very good luck doing this and have not received any dock rash. When in the slip I also use spring lines to keep the boat from moving forward or backwards. The Hull-hugrs are about as good as it get imho.