windlass for a 2005 glastron gs 249

dhs2005

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to boating myself only 2 1/2 years on the water. I am quickly approaching middle aged and am intrested in having a windlass installed on my boat to make it a little easier on the old back. I am fairly handy and would appreciate any input.

Thanks

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: windlass for a 2005 glastron gs 249

I do not have any install knowlage but can tell you it is nice to flick the switch from the cockpit.
I always start the engine 1st and kick it in and out of gear to reduce strain on the windlass. plus if the acnhor is stuck it is easier to lift from the other direction.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A windlass is great.

The sportfisher 450 model would be a good choice for your boat. It should have a dedicated battery of sufficient size and make sure that your wiring runs are as short (and proper gauge, if not larger) as possible.

The windlass is meant to, and works better with, an anchor ball if at all possible. The 450 model I mentioned is a freefall windlass and therefore doesn't need to deploy under power. Be mindful of the instructions...follow them exactly and operate the windlass as indicated or your can void any warrantyIf you have specific questions, PM me and I'll answer as best I can.

dhs2005

Cadet

A windlass is great.

The sportfisher 450 model would be a good choice for your boat. It should have a dedicated battery of sufficient size and make sure that your wiring runs are as short (and proper gauge, if not larger) as possible.

The windlass is meant to, and works better with, an anchor ball if at all possible. The 450 model I mentioned is a freefall windlass and therefore doesn't need to deploy under power. Be mindful of the instructions...follow them exactly and operate the windlass as indicated or your can void any warrantyIf you have specific questions, PM me and I'll answer as best I can.

Thanks for the info and feed back

dhs2005

Cadet

Has anyone used a anchorlift barracuda 600 series befor.

dhs2005

Cadet

here's an update went with a anchorlift barracuda 600. Me and a buddy installed it over a weekend.
windlass pic.jpg

dhs2005

Cadet

Very nice. Clean install.

Thanks, it went pretty well. I trying think how to modify the access port to the anchor locker. I don't have alot of real estate to work with to enlarge the hole.

Gray2

Recruit

Thanks, it went pretty well. I trying think how to modify the access port to the anchor locker. I don't have alot of real estate to work with to enlarge the hole.

Hey Dhs2005, I also want to install a windlass on my Glastron GS249. From your comment above, it sounds like you ran into problems installing? Is that right? What exactly was the problem, and would you now recommend installing a different windlass than the one you used?

I also have concerns about the size of the anchor rode locker. It seems a bit small. If I use rope and chain, I might not be able to store much length inside. Its easy to just push it in there if not using a windlass, but the windlass has to freefall the rode into the locker. Am thinking if I use chain only, I could pack a lot more length in there. Only problem is that it would be a lot of weight. Do you/ did you have the same concerns?

Cheers, Graeme

dhs2005

Cadet

Hey Dhs2005, I also want to install a windlass on my Glastron GS249. From your comment above, it sounds like you ran into problems installing? Is that right? What exactly was the problem, and would you now recommend installing a different windlass than the one you used?

I also have concerns about the size of the anchor rode locker. It seems a bit small. If I use rope and chain, I might not be able to store much length inside. Its easy to just push it in there if not using a windlass, but the windlass has to freefall the rode into the locker. Am thinking if I use chain only, I could pack a lot more length in there. Only problem is that it would be a lot of weight. Do you/ did you have the same concerns?

Cheers, Graeme

Hi Graeme
I tried a rope/chain combo first, but because of the limited space of the anchor locker the rope would foul. So I went with 50' of chain and only 25' of rope. the places I frequent are usually in the river here in Jacksonville,Fl so at the most I am only in no more than 30 to 50 feet. If you have any other questions or would like to see anymore pic's let me know.
Doug

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Hi Graeme
I tried a rope/chain combo first, but because of the limited space of the anchor locker the rope would foul. So I went with 50' of chain and only 25' of rope. the places I frequent are usually in the river here in Jacksonville,Fl so at the most I am only in no more than 30 to 50 feet.

The recommended scope for anchoring is 7:1. If you're in the river and not fighting much current or bad weather, you can get away with 4:1. If you're anchored in 30 feet of water, you'll need to play out 120' of rode/chain, not including the distance from the water to the pulpit. How well do you think you can anchor with only 75'? I'm only thinking of your safety.

dhs2005

Cadet

7:1 is the smart play, but for the most part I am really only in no more than 10' for cove's and inlets here in jacksonville in and around the river. My little pocket cruiser will never see deep water and currents here in the river are not that bad. With my size boat a windlass is really over kill but with lower back problems its a must for me.

golffnut2000

Recruit

here's an update went with a anchorlift barracuda 600. Me and a buddy installed it over a weekend.
View attachment 85083

do you have any PIcs of the cable run for the windlass? I would love to see the path you took to get the battery cables all the way up there. I am about to do the same thing on a 2001 GS249. should be about the same.

dhs2005

Cadet

do you have any PIcs of the cable run for the windlass? I would love to see the path you took to get the battery cables all the way up there. I am about to do the same thing on a 2001 GS249. should be about the same.
Golffnut2000,
I don't have any pics of running cables but it is pretty straight forward.
1. pull the trim off the v-bert port and starboard, you should see the wire for your spotlight on the starboard side. I ziptied my cables to the spot light cable. and feed them through to the head compartment
2. remove the T.P. despenser in the head to pull your cables through.
3. remove the starboard access panel in the ceiling in the aft berth to finish fishing the cable's into the engine compartment. Note: I had previously drill a half in hole to run my transducer cable for my chartplotter. After running throught the engine compartment take some spray foam to seal the hole so fumes cant get into the berth.
Hope this helps if you have any questions just let me know.
Doug

dhs2005

Cadet

Golffnut2000,
I don't have any pics of running cables but it is pretty straight forward.
1. pull the trim off the v-bert port and starboard, you should see the wire for your spotlight on the starboard side. I ziptied my cables to the spot light cable. and feed them through to the head compartment
2. remove the T.P. despenser in the head to pull your cables through.
3. remove the starboard access panel in the ceiling in the aft berth to finish fishing the cable's into the engine compartment. Note: I had previously drill a half in hole to run my transducer cable for my chartplotter. After running throught the engine compartment take some spray foam to seal the hole so fumes cant get into the berth.
Hope this helps if you have any questions just let me know.
Doug

Also, when you remove the port and starboard trim in the v berth, also remove the back rest on both side as well this will let you remove the inner bulk head it is held in place by the back rest. the vinyl on mine was stuck together. I used some dish washing soap in a spray bottle to loosen it up. This will reveal your outer bulkhead. Mine outer bulk did not go all the way up to the top of the anchor locker. this gave me enough room to handle bolting the windlass from the inside.
good luck again, let me know if I can answer any questions.

golffnut2000

Recruit

Also, when you remove the port and starboard trim in the v berth, also remove the back rest on both side as well this will let you remove the inner bulk head it is held in place by the back rest. the vinyl on mine was stuck together. I used some dish washing soap in a spray bottle to loosen it up. This will reveal your outer bulkhead. Mine outer bulk did not go all the way up to the top of the anchor locker. this gave me enough room to handle bolting the windlass from the inside.
good luck again, let me know if I can answer any questions.

So far, so good. I have the wires back in the AFT cabin. I see the panel you are talking about and will be taking that off today to get things the rest of the way. where did you mount the switch and breaker? I am thinking right under the spotlight remote.

dhs2005

Cadet

So far, so good. I have the wires back in the AFT cabin. I see the panel you are talking about and will be taking that off today to get things the rest of the way. where did you mount the switch and breaker? I am thinking right under the spotlight remote.
The switch I mounted just above my spot light control. I will try and post some pics tomorrow. Glad all is going well.

dhs2005

Cadet

Here are some more pictures, hope this helps. The isalator is by maxwell, anchorlift's isolator was surface mount, I went with maxwell's because their's was a flush mount.

Attachments

• iphone pics 101.jpg
    iphone pics 101.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 2
  • iphone pics 102.jpg
    iphone pics 102.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 2

golffnut2000

Recruit

Here are some more pictures, hope this helps. The isalator is by maxwell, anchorlift's isolator was surface mount, I went with maxwell's because their's was a flush mount.

thanks for the help. everything is all installed. they look about the same I think. the only thing I need to do is to get a self-launching davit. mine isnt. I have to push it off the davit now. bringing it up works great.

once again, thanks for the help.

dhs2005

Cadet

Glad to help, I have really enjoyed mine. One suggestion you may want to make a anchor lanyard to cleat it off to remove the stain from your windlass when anchored.