Pontoon Boat Wiring Help!

Stratguy

Cadet
I am looking for adrawing or schematic that shows the electrical wiring of a typical pontoon boat. I have a 1989 Stratos built by Sea Nymph/Sunchaser. The boat runs fine but the wiring in the console is a mess. Would like to clean it up and rewire the switch panel. Can anyone help?

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoon Boat Wiring Help!

Stratguy,<br /><br />I went thru the same problem, only my boat was a 2002 Crest Classic. The Boat was brand new, and the did the worst job in the world in the console. From what I saw there is no difference in how a pontoon boat is wire then, say a runabout. <br /><br />Your first step is to sort out what you have, then you can clean it up. <br /><br />One of the things I found helpful was to have a list of color standards. IE what color wire is supposed to be on what. Ancor Marine has one on thier site (www.ancorproducts.com) under technical information. I do not think it is complete. Second do a search on Iboats for wiring and you will pick up some great tips on what to do and what not to do. <br /><br />The other thing I did to mine, was run a new power source to the console. Heavy duty battery cable to a fuse panel, and now I run everthing off of that. Before that the only fuses where inline fuses. It also solved a interference problem with the VHF. <br /><br />Good Luck, if you have any question just holler!

Stratguy

Cadet

Thanks for the information. It seems hard to belieive that your boat would have such poor wiring. I suspect that when mine was new, it probably wasn't as good as I would have done it myself.<br />Take care

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Assuming everything works the way it is intended, and if you still cannot find a schematic, I would document end to end terminations of the wires and label them (create my own schematic). A good continuity tester (Ohm meter) and a few hours should do the trick. There is nothing worse than taking something apart and not knowing how to reassemble it. <br />just my $0.02

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I remember correctly, West Marine had some information about the correct color codes for wiring in a boat, pontoon or otherwise. That doesn't really help you get started, but it might help you finish.<br />The 1986 Weeres I rebuilt last year had the same rats nest of wiring in the console you guys describe. Since I was installing all new furniture including the console, I ripped it all out and started over. A fused terminal block I mounted in the console made things relatively easy. It was less than $10. Run a fused 12 volt feed and a ground wire with enough capacity to handle your total load to the console, then start wiring each item to the terminal block. If you break everything down individually, it isn't as bad as it looks.<br /><br />Charles