Are Monark Boats any good?

wlangrimson

Recruit
I'm looking to buy a 2004 19 foot Monark King model. This boat has all the features I'm looking for but I'm not up to speed as to their quality. I'm also looking at putting a 150 Merc Optimax on it.<br />Any comments would sure be appreciated!<br />Thanks<br />GoVikes

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Are Monark Boats any good?

I live very near a monark/starcraft dealer and looked at the king with the mercruiser 220 MPI i/o. They are very nice to look at and seem to be well built. The reason I didn't buy one was the dealer would not get me a trailer with a folding/removable tongue. The guy down the street bounced his older monark off a submerged log and lossened some of his rivets and the manufacturer is repairing it free of charge.

wlangrimson

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I've been told they stand behind their boats.

BillP

Captain

I bought a new Monark pontoon boat in Nov of 1996 and it's held up well. I picked it over other brands because it had more overall quality than others but also cost more to buy. There are three items I don't like about it. 1. They used plain steel screws (8 total)on the folding legs of the sofa that converts to a double bed...should have used stainless. 2. They used a fuse panel instead of breakers. 3. The wiring harness was not secured well and flopped around. A few tiewraps cured the problem but it left the factory loose.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I used to have an older 21 foot Monark with an I/O diesel Volvo. I was never happy with the motor, quirkiest engine I've ever had, but the boat was solid as a rock.

refractory148

Seaman

I own a 1980 14ft. monark jon boat. I bought it used and have not had any problems. it doesnt leak at the rivets which i thought was very impressive considering the boats age. if you look at the bottom of the boat it becomes very apparent that the previous owners were not scared to run things over or hit submerged debris. the boat has many "character marks" and still no leaks. my opinion.... monark builds very good boats.

jgun

Cadet

I've got a 1999 Monark King 160 SC and I love it. Fully welded hull and life time leak guarentee. I have no complaints with my boat. I bought it new and plan to keep it till I sink it. :)