Cheapest new ski boat?

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's the cheapest new ski boat. 16-18 feet I/O 4 cylinder?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cheapest new ski boat?

Not 100% sure on this; but Bayliner would be my first and final thought. To pull a skier, wakeboarder, or towable, though, you'll be much happier with a 6 cylinder.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I thought, the bayliner. Not for me, a friend is looking into new boats. He loves my glasstream but wants a new boat. There has yet to be a situation that my 3.0 mercruiser hasn't been able to accomplish. Big skiers. Wakeboard, triple person tube. All no problems. Power is great, top speed 47 mph, and damn good gas mileage.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Same scenario with my 6 cylinder. I'm really happy with it, fuel consumtions good. I wouldn't be unhappy with an 8 cylinder; but there's really no need... Guess you've got a point:).

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After looking at some new boats recently I don't think the term "cheapest" can apply in any form or fashion.
Maybe call them least expensive.
That boat show was sure a nice place to daydream though :)

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stingray 180 or 185, darn good value.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ya, buy a used one, I would rather get a much better 2 or 3 year old boat versus buying the cheapest new boat I could find. Depreciation on a boat is horrible and there are so many nice gently used ones on the market. Will save at least 40% buying a 2009, and if you know what you are looking for and get a mechanical inspection then you should be good to go.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Stingray, Glastron, Bayliner, Tahoe

Bondo

Staff member

Cheapest new ski boat?
Not for me, a friend is looking into new boats.

Ayuh,... If yer Bud's only buying point is Price,....

Tell 'im to pick another hobby,...
Boatin' ain't for him.....

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Four Winns has the H180 LE that they are only offering with the 3.0 Mercruiser and are not offering it with many options. It is the same hull and everything as the normal H180, they are just making the LE boats with cookie cutters to reduce cost. MSRP is less than $20k. They are selling for as low as $16-17k. That includes a pretty simple, yet effective trailer also.

http://www.fourwinns.com/model/H180LE

It may not be the cheapest, however, it is a nice boat for the money.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Stingray, Glastron, Bayliner, Tahoe

+1 on the Stingray. We looked at them at the boat show a few years back. Pretty nice looking little boat.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

i Think Larsons are the best value. they start around 19k and a 4.3 is around 21k, fuel injection is standard. Leaps and bounds beyond gayliner..whoops Bayliner. If you want a boat from a company that is only concerned with pumping them out and are built HEAVY using a chopper gun vs any other (better) method of hull construction... then get a Bayliner. If you want a boat that looses its value faster than any other boat... get a Bayliner... Sure they are cheap at first but are VERY cookie cutter... your buddy would wish he spent the extra money. BUT to answer your question.. the CHEAPEST boat is the bayliner 175, but it is NOT the best Value boat.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Ayuh,... If yer Bud's only buying point is Price,....

Tell 'im to pick another hobby,...
Boatin' ain't for him.....
Yeah, if cheapest goes above best value, you probably need a new habit.

Sheesh, the guy asks what the cheapest boat(s) are and everyone starts telling him why their favorite brand is the best bang for the buck instead of answering his question.

To the original poster. Bayliner would probaly be the lowest cost (big name) boat company in the US. They pride themselves as being the price point leader in just about every catagory and they build a very nice boat today. It may not have all the bells and whistles but if it's low cost you are after...

I agree, some guys just gotta justify all the $ they have spent into the hobby. I have less that 3k in my whole rig and I still get out on the water and have fun. But if you're looking for cost, you should not be looking for new. Any used, well cared for boat will be a better bang for your buck, like with cars/trucks. Let someone else take that huge depreciation hit, look for something 4-5 years old.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

actually, i drive a 1979 Checkmate... lol not new by any sense of the imagination :) My opinions on Bayliner are surely not justification for spending more dough. In fact, a new bayliner would be a step up for me. I was just informing the OP that if i were in the market for a new boat, i would spend just a little bit mroe over a bayliner and get something that is a little more unique and that will hold its value a little better.

emilsr

I often wonder if any of the people so quick to bash Bayliner have ever owned one. I had one for about 3 years and had a lot of fun with it. For what I wanted (and could afford) at the time it fit the bill perfectly. If I had it to do all over again I honestly would buy another one. Yes, they're inexpensive and rigging is at the low end of the spectrum, but in terms of hull construction there are worse boats out there, mostly for a higher price. Lots of people got their start in boating in a Bayliner, and there are some screaming deals on used ones from people trading up to a more expensive boat. If they were so bad you wouldn't see so many older ones out on the water today.

It's much more important THAT you're on the water than what brand of boat you're in. If your buddy is not sure he wants to drop big money on a more "glamourous" boat then by all means have him look at Bayliners.

BTMCB

I often wonder if any of the people so quick to bash Bayliner have ever owned one. I had one for about 3 years and had a lot of fun with it. For what I wanted (and could afford) at the time it fit the bill perfectly. If I had it to do all over again I honestly would buy another one. Yes, they're inexpensive and rigging is at the low end of the spectrum, but in terms of hull construction there are worse boats out there, mostly for a higher price. Lots of people got their start in boating in a Bayliner, and there are some screaming deals on used ones from people trading up to a more expensive boat. If they were so bad you wouldn't see so many older ones out on the water today.

It's much more important THAT you're on the water than what brand of boat you're in. If your buddy is not sure he wants to drop big money on a more "glamourous" boat then by all means have him look at Bayliners.

+1 - well said - agree - 100%