Removing Bottom Paint

Hardcore

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i just bought a boat that has some shoddy bottom paint. I dont moor the boat so i would like to remove it, is there a good way or should i just repaint it?

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

What kind of hull are you talking about? aluminum, fiberglass, wood,?
No one sees the bottom when on the water.???

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Might be easier to repaint. Mine has an epoxy layer then bottom paint. There is a thick line at the end point. Might try some stripper to see what happens first.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

this has been discussed often. The general consensus, if such a thing is possible, is that it is difficult and expensive to remove correctly, and dangerous and difficult to do yourself, and then you have to treat the effects to the surface of the hull before you repaint--in other words you can't remove without having to repaint (based on the assumption that you are removing for cosmetic reasons, and therefore want a cosmetic result).
If you insist, soda blasting is the preferred method.
Because it is difficult and serves no function, many advocate leaving it alone--no one sees the bottom and who cares anyway--or if you must, painting over it with "regular" paint.
You don't say what size boat you have, but if you don't keep it in the water we'd assume it's going on a trailer (although around here there are 30' boats on lifts).
Painting a bottom on a trailer is a pain. I'd rather spend the time and money in the boat, than under it.

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I stripped mine down to bare gell coat I used a Festool vacuum sander.

The results were outstanding and I gained top end speed, moving from a well-maintained bottom to an outstanding bottom.